Replacing Intex Cartridge Filter

May 16, 2012
Omaha, NE
I am looking to replace the 1500 GPH cartridge filter pump that came with the 18'x52" AGP. I like the idea of the sand filter - not having to change out cartridges, clean them, replace them/ etc.

I am curious if anybody has experience with the 1600 GPH Intex Sand filter vs the 2650 GPH Intex Sand filter.
What I am mostly wanting to know is if the 1600 GPH has enough power to use the vacuum effectively. It seems with the cartridge filter that came with pool - 1500 gph, it doesn't have a lot of sucking power for the vacuum attachment. I would assume that the 2650 would have a lot more power.

Or are there similarly priced models from other manufacturers that anybody would recommend?

Thanks!!

Given the size of your pool, I strongly recommend the 2650. Not only will it vacuum better, it will also go significantly longer between backwashes/cleanings. In that price range the Intex units are difficult to beat. You can get something better for almost twice as much money, but that is a big step up and not worth it for most people.

Sorry, I don't have comprative cartridge to sand filter experience, but I have to say, I love my Intex 2650!

I sprang for the 2650 sand filter/pump for my new-to-me used 18' x 52" Intex. This is my first pool. Based on info garnered from this site, I didn't even consider using the original, inadequate cartridge filter that came with the pool. The 2650 is the only new item I bought for the set-up ... everything from the pool kit to the SWG to the solar cover came off craigslist. I figured it would be worth the investment. So far (3 weeks), so good.

I LOVE MY 2650! Woosh. :whoot: I actually put my hands up flat facing the jet and lightly swim against it! Woosh! :whoot: lol

Now, if I can just figure out how to vacuum more efficiently (the pump is totally efficient, operator is not ... she enjoys the pool so much that she goes to la-la land while vacuuming!).

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.