Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Replacing Intex Cartridge Filter

1. Back To Top    #1

Replacing Intex Cartridge Filter

I am looking to replace the 1500 GPH cartridge filter pump that came with the 18'x52" AGP. I like the idea of the sand filter - not having to change out cartridges, clean them, replace them/ etc.

I am curious if anybody has experience with the 1600 GPH Intex Sand filter vs the 2650 GPH Intex Sand filter.
    What I am mostly wanting to know is if the 1600 GPH has enough power to use the vacuum effectively. It seems with the cartridge filter that came with pool - 1500 gph, it doesn't have a lot of sucking power for the vacuum attachment. I would assume that the 2650 would have a lot more power.

Or are there similarly priced models from other manufacturers that anybody would recommend?

Thanks!!
    Pool: Intex AGP - Round 18' x 52"
    6981 gallon - per their documentation
    2650 GPH Sand Filter
    Intex Krystal Clear SWG

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Replacing Intex Cartridge Filter

Given the size of your pool, I strongly recommend the 2650. Not only will it vacuum better, it will also go significantly longer between backwashes/cleanings. In that price range the Intex units are difficult to beat. You can get something better for almost twice as much money, but that is a big step up and not worth it for most people.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Sorry, I don't have comprative cartridge to sand filter experience, but I have to say, I love my Intex 2650!

I sprang for the 2650 sand filter/pump for my new-to-me used 18' x 52" Intex. This is my first pool. Based on info garnered from this site, I didn't even consider using the original, inadequate cartridge filter that came with the pool. The 2650 is the only new item I bought for the set-up ... everything from the pool kit to the SWG to the solar cover came off craigslist. I figured it would be worth the investment. So far (3 weeks), so good.

I LOVE MY 2650! Woosh. I actually put my hands up flat facing the jet and lightly swim against it! Woosh! lol

Now, if I can just figure out how to vacuum more efficiently (the pump is totally efficient, operator is not ... she enjoys the pool so much that she goes to la-la land while vacuuming!).
    Intex 18' x 52" Ultra-frame AGP, 8200 gal(?), used
    Intex 2650 Sand filter/pump, new (happy dance!)
    Intex SWG 8110, used
    Intex Wall Mount Surface Skimmer/Vacuum, used
    Solar Cover, used and a Patch Kit, now used.

4. Back To Top    #4

Thank you both for your input. I was kind of leaning towards the bigger pump - figure it's like anything: go bigger or you'll regret it later.

Thanks again! Great site!
    Pool: Intex AGP - Round 18' x 52"
    6981 gallon - per their documentation
    2650 GPH Sand Filter
    Intex Krystal Clear SWG

5. Back To Top    #5

There is a point of diminishing returns on pump size, but the step you're considering is not it. Bigger filters are just about always favorably looked upon - bigger means it filters better for longer between cleanings.
    16x32 IG 19,000 gallons, Pentair 1.5 hp Energy Efficient Superflo pump (348024),vinyl liner, Chlorine dispenser, Hayward S-244T sand filter