Pool timer..SWG cell included or not ?

Mar 24, 2012
Kansas City
Hello, and thank you in advance for any replies.
This is my first pool, I have all Pentair salt water system. I had an electrician install a GE timer on my pool (got from home depot).

The way he connected it, is to the pump only, where it turns it on and off, but not to the SWG. So when the pump is off, the SWG has the "no flow" red light on, and the other generator lights are on......

Is that the right way to connect a timer, or should the SWG also be connected to the timer, to completely turn off when the pump is off?
Thanks

The way it's connected now you're depending on the flow switch alone to prevent the swcg from generating. While that works, I'd rather have it's power wired into the timer as well.

What if the flow switch stuck closed. It would think there's flow when there's not and keep generating chlorine with the water not moving through the cell.

I called the electrician, and he's telling me, it's better to have the SWG not on a timer, as turning it on and off, shortens it's life!!!....I'm a newbie to this but this doesn't make sense to me...

Should I have him come back, and connect the generator on the timer ?
Thanks again

DoctorA said:
I called the electrician, and he's telling me, it's better to have the SWG not on a timer, as turning it on and off, shortens it's life!!!

OH MY GOD!.......I'm killing my coffee pot turning it on and off!..........and the lights, and...............

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.