Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pool timer..SWG cell included or not ?

1. Back To Top    #1

Pool timer..SWG cell included or not ?

Hello, and thank you in advance for any replies.
    This is my first pool, I have all Pentair salt water system. I had an electrician install a GE timer on my pool (got from home depot).

The way he connected it, is to the pump only, where it turns it on and off, but not to the SWG. So when the pump is off, the SWG has the "no flow" red light on, and the other generator lights are on......

Is that the right way to connect a timer, or should the SWG also be connected to the timer, to completely turn off when the pump is off?
    Thanks
    23k gallon in ground Vinyl liner. With attached spa. Pentair ic40 swg, 2 hp whisper flow single speed pump, 500 gallon pentair sand filter.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pool timer..SWG cell included or not ?

The way it's connected now you're depending on the flow switch alone to prevent the swcg from generating. While that works, I'd rather have it's power wired into the timer as well.

What if the flow switch stuck closed. It would think there's flow when there's not and keep generating chlorine with the water not moving through the cell.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

I called the electrician, and he's telling me, it's better to have the SWG not on a timer, as turning it on and off, shortens it's life!!!....I'm a newbie to this but this doesn't make sense to me...

Should I have him come back, and connect the generator on the timer ?
    Thanks again
    23k gallon in ground Vinyl liner. With attached spa. Pentair ic40 swg, 2 hp whisper flow single speed pump, 500 gallon pentair sand filter.

4. Back To Top    #4

I certainly would. That excuse sounds like he just doesn't want to come and fix it like it should be.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

5. Back To Top    #5

What does your owners manual say? As a manufacturer, we recommend connecting to the same place as the pump. It does not affect the unit to turn off and on daily.... unless you're doing it repeatedly throughout the day.
    Sean Assam - Sean@teamhorner.com
    National Accounts and Commercial Products Manager
    AquaCal Heat Pumps www.aquacal.com
    AutoPilot Salt Chlorine Generators www.autopilot.com

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorA
    I called the electrician, and he's telling me, it's better to have the SWG not on a timer, as turning it on and off, shortens it's life!!!
    OH MY GOD!.......I'm killing my coffee pot turning it on and off!..........and the lights, and...............
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

7. Back To Top    #7

Thank you all VERY much for all the input and replies. I called the guy and he is coming tomorrow to fix it
    Thanks a lot