Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: SWG vs Bleach?

1. Back To Top    #1

SWG vs Bleach?

seems like a SWG would be cheaper vs bleach? and you don't have to lug bleach bottles around, but i'm new to all these, what do you experts way in at?

SWG vs Bleach? + and -'s of each?
    15,000 gallon inground fiberglass pool with spa. 350lb Sand filter, 1.5 hp pump, and heater

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: SWG vs Bleach?

Well they might be, a lot depends on how long they last, cost of replacement plates, etc. Bleach is at least predictable, once you know your demand and the local market cost, you can calculate expenses at a fairly accurate rate of a few dollars per week, but with an SWG you have that several hundred dollar initial expense for equipment, plus the cost of what may be several hundreds if not thousands of pounds of salt (and all the hauling dumping and stiring that is involved), then you get to wait for something to break, and hope it happens under warranty, if not under warranty at least hope repair parts are still available.

Ike
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

3. Back To Top    #3

On the average residential pool the costs come out about the same. But in a specific pool it can end up tilting either way depending on which SWG you get, plus many other small factors, and some luck. As a general rule, SWGs are a better deal if your pool uses a lot of chlorine (larger pool, open more of the year), and not as good if your pool uses less chlorine (smaller pool, not open all that long each year).
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

I have a friend in another state that has a SWG, and the plates disintregrated after 5 years. Spending $800 dollars for a new one, it lasted 3 years. Not wanting to spend that much with no guarantee as to how long this one would last, he just uses clorine by the jug now.
    10 year old 18x32 inground, vinyl liner 1 year old, 25,000 gallon Grecian, Hayward ST244 Sand Filter, 1hp Hayward pump, Diving board, Side Steps, Koolcrete decking located in middle [s:37hekvij]earth[/s:37hekvij] Georgia.

5. Back To Top    #5

Pointyhead , The cell is only expected to last 3 to 5 years, so nothing surprising there. Most replacement cell cost $200 to $500. Only the largest most expensive cells cost anywhere near $800.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by JasonLion
    Pointyhead , The cell is only expected to last 3 to 5 years, so nothing surprising there. Most replacement cell cost $200 to $500. Only the largest most expensive cells cost anywhere near $800.
    The way my friend told it, I don't think he knew that going in!
    10 year old 18x32 inground, vinyl liner 1 year old, 25,000 gallon Grecian, Hayward ST244 Sand Filter, 1hp Hayward pump, Diving board, Side Steps, Koolcrete decking located in middle [s:37hekvij]earth[/s:37hekvij] Georgia.

7. Back To Top    #7

It really is a trade off. Pay now or pay later. With the SWCG you don't have to lug bleach container or add on a daily basis, but you do have the large initial up front cost. It's really a matter of how much time you have to dedicate to your pool care, and what's your time worth.
    17K Kidney Shaped Pool Concrete (Diamond Bright) Pool, 3/4 hp 2 speed 115V Sta-rite Duraglas PEA5D-180L/P2R5D-181L (Impeller C105-92PS Diffuser C1-216P), 1.5 piping, Pentair CC100 Filter , Heat Siphon 100K BTU Heat Pump Pool Heater, Flow meter Blue White Flowmeter Model No. F-30150P, Hayward Astrolight SP0581N, SWCG CalimarTitanium Edition TE45 , Dolphin Nautilus Plus with CleverClean, Lakeland Florida

8. Back To Top    #8

I use the Pentair IC60, 44K pool. I think it works out in my favor compared to bleach. Assuming of course I get 4+ years out of the cell. I would need at least 1 gallon of bleach a day, for at least 200 days out of the year. On the low side this is $200 a year, 4 years $800. Which is about the price of a IC60 replacement cell. The side benefit is not hauling all the bleach around. But like I mentioned, assuming I get 4 years of cell life.

Chris
    http://www.circledspecialties.com

44,000 IG Salt Pool - Pentair VF, Quad 100, Polaris 280, IC60, 400 Mater Temp

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by Pointyhead
    I have a friend in another state that has a SWG, and the plates disintregrated after 5 years. Spending $800 dollars for a new one, it lasted 3 years. Not wanting to spend that much with no guarantee as to how long this one would last, he just uses clorine by the jug now.
    my neighbors had a SWG and the replacement was about 1K so they went bleach too
    17,800 gallon, IG pool, 595 sq feet (17x35x4.5 avg rectangle), Hayward 525 cartridge filter, diamondbrite, 2 hp 2 speed hayward tristar filter, Stenner 45mhp10 automatically chlorinating

10. Back To Top    #10

We figure it costs more for convenience which is worth something to us. SOooooo we actually do both-
    I can add liquid bleach when I need that instant "Pow!" of chlorine such as when the grandbebe pooped in the pool, but otherwise let the SWG work behind the scenes so that I don't have to deal with adding anything on a daily basis and particularly if going out of town for a few days.
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by YippeeSkippy
    particularly if going out of town for a few days.
    That was a big part of why I decided to try the SWG. I live probably 20-30 minutes from any close friends or family and don't have anyone to check it for me so IMO its worth it.
    6500 gal, Intex 18'x48" above ground, 1hp Pro Sand Filter, TF100 Test Kit

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by superman0604
    Quote Originally Posted by YippeeSkippy
    particularly if going out of town for a few days.
    That was a big part of why I decided to try the SWG. I live probably 20-30 minutes from any close friends or family and don't have anyone to check it for me so IMO its worth it.
    I use a stenner pump with a 15 gallon tank that pumps bleach in. The pump itself plus the tank cost about $300 total. The 15 gallon tank lasts about a month at summer chlorine rates. I would have gone salt, but we have natural stone coping which gets eaten by the salt.
    17,800 gallon, IG pool, 595 sq feet (17x35x4.5 avg rectangle), Hayward 525 cartridge filter, diamondbrite, 2 hp 2 speed hayward tristar filter, Stenner 45mhp10 automatically chlorinating

13. Back To Top    #13

Truthfully I had never heard about chlorine pumps before I bought my SWG. I guess if this doesn't work out like planned that would be plan B.
    6500 gal, Intex 18'x48" above ground, 1hp Pro Sand Filter, TF100 Test Kit