Looking for a new controller - budget conscious, but...

BoilerHorn

Gold Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
May 14, 2007
Central Texas
My 17 year old AquaLink 2 needs to be retired. At least one relay has failed, the water temp sensor needs replaced, and other mainboard issues have arisen.

Here's my present configuration:
2HP shared filter/spa pump - inline heater
3/4HP booster pump for cleaner
2 actuators to control spa/pool valves
in-pool lighting

I already saw this thread from 2010-2011 discussing some of the merits of the Hayward OnCommand and Pentair SunTouch. ( budget-automation-hayward-oncommand-vs-pentair-suntouch-t27943.html ).

I'm ok w/ installing something that can only be programmed/accessed from outside, which is why both of these are possibilities. Long-term, we may consider converting to a SWG system, which might point me to the Pentair.

Any recommendations or insights would be greatly appreciated!

You have a fairly simple setup, so just about any of the systems will work just fine. I'm partial to the Hayward automation systems, but they are both good. If you want to get the SWG and automation at the same time the Hayward AquaLogic Plus is a good deal.

Thanks for the reply. In the wake of the Aqualink2 failure, I swapped the connections (wire-whip at pump and relay at controller) for the cleaner pump and the booster pump so that I could get filtration in the meantime.

Given that I'm fairly comfortable with that, is the install of a Hayward OnCommand a straightforward DIY job?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.