Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Phosphates and SWG

1. Back To Top    #1

Phosphates and SWG

I cannot get my SWG to produce chlorine. It seems to be operating just fine as all lights and readings on the display are normal. The only thing that is out of balance with the pool water is the alkalinity and phosphates. Alkalinity = 265 and phosphates = 500. Will this possibly keep the SWG from producing chlorine? Salt level in the water is 3200 ppm. This is my 3rd summer with the pool... still learning!
    25,000 gallon, sand filter, IG-vinyl, pool built June 2010

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Phosphates and SWG

Welcome to TFP!

Neither of those would prevent the SWG from working.

Could you post a complete set of test results and say why you think the SWG is not producing chlorine? It is quite possible for the chlorine level to be zero even when the SWG is working just fine.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

If your pH and calcium are also high, then the cell might be scaling.

4. Back To Top    #4

We have the IC40 Intellichlor generator. The cell light is solid green at all times which tells me the cell is producing correctly... right? Every time I test the chlorine in the pool it is nonexistant. I am not sure what type of test it is called but i use the tube that you fill with water and put the 5 drops of liquid in it. The level of yellow tells the level of chlorine and when i do mine it doesn't even turn pale yellow - even after running the pumps 36 hours straight with the SWG set at 100%. Am i using the right type of tester or is there something different that i should be doing with a SW pool? I do not have a real current list of readings but I will be getting the water tested again tomorrow. I do not test it myself... I leave that to the pros. However, the "pros" aren't real helpful in telling me why i can't get a chlorine reading. My pH level was too high early last week 8.4 but last testing I got it down to 7.4 which i believe is in normal range. They tell me my stabilizer is good and my salt level is good. However, I do have to say my pool water looks beautiful! It is crystal clear, no algae growing or spotting in the pool at all!

5. Back To Top    #5

There are lots of things that can be using up chlorine more quickly than the SWG can produce it. Without numbers there is little we can do to help. When you do get test results post them, the actual numbers, not "good".

By the by, doing your own testing with a top quality test kit will give you much more reliable results that going to a pool store, and make the pool much simpler to take care of.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

What do you recommend as a "top quality" test kit?

I appreciate all your help! I will post my results as soon as I get them. This full time job of mine is getting in the way of my pool care.

7. Back To Top    #7

Three are three kits we recommend, listed in the Pool School article on Test Kits Compared. The key element is the FAS-DPD chlorine test, which is only available in a few kits.

8. Back To Top    #8

The TF-100 is the best kit at the best value bar none! You can't go wrong with that kit.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

9. Back To Top    #9

The results are in. I just had my water tested and still not a trace of chlorine in the pool. Here are the results...

FC - 0
    CC - 0
    PH- 8.0
    TA - 270
    CYA - 70
    CAL - 170
    Phosphates - 500
    Salt - 3200

The only thing i can see wrong is the Ph a little high and the phosphates too high. Do you think this is causing my SWG to not be able to produce enough chlorine? BTW... I have ordered the K-2006 tester kit as you recommended since the company I was using just used the cheap testing strips. Since my kit is still on order and I won't have it until next week I found another pool company to use in the mean time that uses a different testing method similar to the K-2006 with the reagents, etc. Thanks again for your help!

10. Back To Top    #10

Don't worry about the phosphates at all. You need to get your pH down to about 7.2 soon (like now). Then add enough bleach to get the FC up to shock level for your CYA.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump

11. Back To Top    #11

Really?? Even though the manual for my SWG (Pentair IC40) specifically says in the troubleshoot section that high phosphates and metals in the water can cause it not to produce enough chlorine. I bought the pH decreaser so i will start that tonight. I also bought a 5 gallon jug of shock. They recommended getting the pH balanced before adding the shock... what do you think?

12. Back To Top    #12

I agree that pH is your most immediate concern. Get it down before starting the shock process.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator

13. Back To Top    #13

One more quick question before I get to work on my pool. What is considered "shock level"? i can't seem to find exactly what that term means in your pool school. Sorry, like i said... I'm still learning.

14. Back To Top    #14

Shock level depends on your CYA level, you can look it up in the Chlorine / CYA Chart in Pool School.