Adding Calcium

May 17, 2012
Hello,

I'm about to bring my calcium level from 140 to 260. I was told the calcium chloride can be found as a de-icer. I searched for "calcium chloride" at an auto parts store and got my hands on some.

I've posted a pic of the front and back of the package...can someone in the know confirm that this stuff should go in my pool? I'm concerned about additives etc.

Also, I understand that I should pre-dissolve in a 5 gallon bucket and only add 10lbs per 24 hours (15K gallon pool). Correct?

Thank you in advance!

Ron

Attachments

• rsz_img_20120604_175326.jpg
    rsz_img_20120604_175326.jpg
    166.5 KB · Views: 121
  • rsz_img_20120604_175336.jpg
    rsz_img_20120604_175336.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 121
I do not think that is the right stuff ... the MgCL2 and inhibitors scare me.

From Pool School Recommended Pool Chemicals
CH - Calcium Hardness

Calcium hardness can be raised with calcium chloride or calcium chloride dihydrate. They are available in some areas as Peladow, Dowflake, Tetra Flake, or Tetra 94, often sold as a deicer by hardware stores, and some big box stores, in colder climates. Pool stores will carry either calcium chloride or calcium chloride dihydrate under a variety of names, including Hardness Plus, Balance Pak 300, Calcium Hardness Increaser, etc. Calcium products should be spread across the surface of the deep end of the pool.

Thank you James, Jason, and anon.

The inhibitor also scared me, and my gut said there shouldn't be anything other than calcium chloride going in the water.

Thank you for the amazon link, anon....I just ordered a bag.

Have a good night gents.

Ron

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.