Chicago Kidney IG Vinyl Pool Build

reesedj

Platinum Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Apr 11, 2012
Chicago, IL
The PB just left this evening to go over final details. Digging starts tomorrow morning.

We've chosen a 16 x 30 kidney shaped vinyl lined pool. It will have 8' steps with bucket seats (in same blue color as liner; the computer model shows white in the below pics), with an 8' x 4' "beach" area with 6" shallow water depth for lounging. We will have concrete cantilever coping 2' around the pool, with pavers making up the rest of the patio, connecting to the existing wood deck.

The pool will have a flat bottom (4' water depth) across. Due to the shallow depth throughout, we've opted against the dual main drain and will have 6 returns with 2 skimmers. I'll keep the pics updated as often as possible.

Pics:
Before site of pool build
photo-3.jpg

Polymer walls waiting to be put together
photo-4.jpg

Computer design; the steps will be the same blue color as liner
ComputerDesign.jpg

Doug

The dig begins, PB has been great at walking me through all the steps and explaining why everything is done a certain way.

IMG_0914.jpg

Went from clean yard and deck to a full blown construction site in a matter of hours......

IMG_0922.jpg

Yes, a lot of returns. The main drain was "included" in the package price, so in exchange I bumped up the number of returns. My theory is that each are individually plumbed so I could always close one off and I wanted to place a few in the beach area and steps so the water is able to circulate.

This is my first pool build so aside from the knowledge gained here, a little clueless on the process. I assumed the more the merrier for the returns, but if anyone believes to the contrary let me know.

Walls have gone up. There was a crack in the steps - they ordered a new one earlier this week and we'll have to wait for them to arrive before finishing the wall installation, leveling and pouring the concrete collar.

IMG_0935.jpg

IMG_0940.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
We wanted to keep the most usable space for lounging. Diving was never an interest, and we wanted to mirror the resort-style pools we have visited that are all 4' flat bottom. My wife's family are all short too :-D

Many updates. Very depressing to see that I started the thread on June 4 and we're still not swimming. Here's a little recap......

June 4 - Dig started and the walls were starting to go up over the next couple days. PB moves fast and I expect to be having fun in the sun by mid-June.
June 6 - The blue steps were delivered cracked. Upon ordering new steps, they ran out of the blue fiberglass molding and had to wait to fabricate. 2 weeks of no progress.
June 18 - New steps arrived!!!! Cracked again. Went back and forth with the manufacturer on questioning the stability of the material and why they sent cracked parts again. We ultimately decided to lose the steps, and install wedding cake steps. Add another week for the wedding cake parts to come in.
June 25 - All the parts arrived and the PB busted is @ss to get everything installed. Their quality of work is impeccable (the manufacturer, not so much).
July 1 - Heat wave 100+ Not able to pour concrete decking, etc in this heat. Another week out.
July 9 - Concrete decking poured and pavers installed. Liner/water set for Friday (July 13).
July 13 - Liner arrived, pool cleaned and water trucks waiting. Liner doesn't fit - not even close (same mfg as steps). PB got on the phone to chew out manufacturer - said they will remake liner this Monday morning. I'm not holding my breath at this point.

Very frustrating as our PB averages 2.5 weeks from start to swimming.

Re: the steps - I would not be too concerned with sun fading; same risk/exposure as a fiberglass pool and most people seem to make out okay. If you go that route, just make sure they arrive in one piece!!! Also, make sure they're well supported (try to get the PB to pour concrete pad under steps), I've heard a couple horror stories about them settling and separating away from the pool.

Sorry to hear about your delays.

We're enjoying our first week of swimming in our Vinyl IG.
We lucked out and all went on or ahead of schedule. Less than 3 weeks from signing contract to swimming. Our longest delay was waiting for the custom liner to be made (about 1.5weeks). No deck yet, but we're swimming. I haven't started my construction thread since I have been pretty busy and travelling.

Fingers crossed it will all work out in the end.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.