New pool & all is great, but now have a 10 day va-ca

May 26, 2012
This is my last test:

FC=5.5
CC=0
pH=7.2
TA=50
CYA= I haven't tested yet, but I've added enough acid to get it to 30.

The TA test has consistantly put me in that 50, so I added 16oz of baking soda tonight, less than the pool calculator suggested, but I'm taking it easy. I'll test again in the morning.

So, on to vacation...I know my CYA is still low, but I thought since I plan to be gone for such a long period of time I'd float dichlor in the pool to chlorinate and get more CYA in there and then top the CYA off once we get home. Unfortunately, I don't really have anyone to check on the pool. I haven't put all these numbers in at the bottom of the pool calculator yet, but I think I've got a pretty good grasp on it, but know I can come back here if I have questions. Does this sound like a good plan?

Marcy
24foot AGP
13, 500 gallons
Hayward sand filter/2 speed with timer
and yes I'm testing with a Taylor!

Would you be floating dichlor or trichlor? Not that it makes a huge difference.

Sounds like about the best plan you can try and hope for the best. You could consider using bleach to bump the FC up to shock level right before you leave and keep then hope the floaters help to maintain some FC while gone. Do you have a cover you could use as well?

One concern is what the solid chlorine will do to the pH while you are gone as dichlor can lower it a lot.

Yes, that is a good plan but the low TA may be an issue for the floater tablets (ought to be trichlor, eh?) Best to bring it up to about 90 or so for using trichlor tablets.

You may still want someone to drop in to add the second batch of tablets to the floater. I don't know how many it can hold.

What you will want to do is to calculate the total chlorine your pool typically uses in a 10 day period. Weigh the tablets to see how much trichlor they contain and determine the number of tablets you need for that time. You may need to buy a second floater if the first cannot hold that volume and no one can come by to refill it. You will have to guess as to how much to open the ports on the floater. I'd also bring the pool up to shock level before I left.

I do this when I leave for a long trip when the CYA is low enough to stand the addition, although I have an automatic chlorinator. We tend to have water level issues and skimmers that need attention every other day so I do have family members check on the pool.

you've given me some things to think about....

Since I have only used bleach, I haven't read much about the difference between dicholor and tri...I'll add that to my reading list.

And I will also add raising FC to shock level and bringing up the TA. So far our temps have been on the cool side for this time of year, so I'm hoping for little evaporation and we don't have much around to get in the skimmer except bugs. But with that said I can probably get someone to check the water level, but our closest neighbor isn't, uh, the most reliable with stuff like bleach and such...we had an issue one other time with a pet that didn't go too well.

but the pH...should I bump that up, too? And unfortunately we don't have a cover yet...maybe we should just bite the bullet and go ahead and get one...I guess with a cover we can leave the pump on the timer and not have to worry about it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.