which variable speed to get??

Jun 4, 2012
hi

i have a 18000 gallon pool with a older 2hp pump along with an older autopilot digital.

i would like to go variable speed, which one is the best to go with?

i also want to be able to control it from in the house without spending a fortune...what would you recommend?

will all this work with my existing autopilot???

thanks

Larry

What are your electric rates? If they are $0.20/kwh or higher it is usually worth getting a variable speed pump. Below that you are usually better of financially with a two speed pump.

To control the system from inside the house you will need to get an automation system.

Yes, the AutoPilot will continue to work with these upgrades, though you may or may not be able to control it remotely using the automation system.

The two obvious possibilities for a variable speed pump are the Pentair IntelliFlo and Hayward EcoStar. If you do go the variable speed with automation route, make sure you get an automations system of the same brand as the pump. The same brand automation systems know how to talk to the pump and control it. While any brand of automation system can control any two speed pump.

i do have a single main drain line... and a single vacuum line...we won't be using the vacuum any more but its there...and the main drain will usually be used along with the skimmer.. but the potential is there for it to be on by itself..

If you have a single drain port, and it isn't one of those several feet long slot drains, then you really ought to have an SVRS. There are two ways to do that, one is to get it as a feature of a variable speed pump, the other way is to purchases an SVRS system separately. The separate systems tend to cost more, but they are more reliable and cause fewer problems.

i have been looking around. and the anti suction option gets pricey on the hayward..

i did find Pentair 011017 IntelliFlo VS+SVRS High Performance 230-Volt 16 Amp Pool Pump, Almond

at a decent price...

is this the current model? any difference between this and the current model other then 8 speeds instead of 4?

thoughts/recommendations?

i just did some more reading.... it looks like the vf is the better choice over vs as it says flow?

what does the hayward show flow or rpm?

do you like the hayward or the intelliflo vf or VS better?

trying to decide on which one to order....

also does the vs have a fully programable control panel? i was planning to use that to schedule on and offs and what rpm as i have no automation...

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
i have the autopilot digital....should i hook the variable hayward to the autopilot or keep the pump hot all the time? my concern is if the autopilot turns it off i don't want to lose memory on the pump while it has no power...

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.