What Do You Think? 1st Test Results.

misdh

May 31, 2012
Kentucky
I just had my pool installed last Thursday. It was full by Friday afternoon, so I added some CYA and 112 oz of bleach. My TF-100 arrived today, and here are my first test results:

FC: 5
CC: 0
pH: 7.6 ish, maybe 7.8
TA: 130
CYA: 20

My CYA has only been in for three days, so I'm sure this number will go up. Should I try to lower my TA since it's borderline high? Pool is looking great with crystal clear water. :-D

Looks pretty good.

How much CYA did you add? What was your target?

Keep the pH below 7.8 ... keeping it in check should also slowly lower your TA. Probably no need to actively work on the TA, just see where everything balance out for now ... no sense giving yourself extra work :)

Keep a close eye on your FC and CYA and

Start swimming!!!

I added 4 lbs of CYA. My target is 40. I forgot to say that my pH was low initially at 7.0. I added Borax according to the pool calculator to bring it up to 7.6. I may have misjudged the amount put in or the amount of water in my pool and made it a little too high. I have muriatic acid on hand if it gets any higher. Also, is it safe to use pH down sold at Wal-Mart to lower the pH? Are all types dry acid? What should I look for on the label? The acid just makes me a little nervous :).

Looks like 4 lbs in 13500 gallon pool is about 36 ppm CYA (it also lowers you pH by 0.66 ... which may be why it was down around 7).
Depending on the amount of sun you pool sees, may eventually want to go up a little more.

Nothing wrong with the dry acid. See Recommended Pool Chemicals for recommended ways to add various chemicals to the pool.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.