Just getting started in Austin, TX

jk7228

Jun 3, 2012
Austin, TX
Got my first bid. It came in a little higher than I expected. Any input on the bid would be appreciated.

18x32 free form gunite
91 ft perimeter
494 sq ft. 16,034 gallons
1/2 inch grade 60 rebar
Gunite - 12" bond beam, 8-10" walls/floor
Wet Edge Satin Matrix interior in Aqua Blue
2 and 1/2 inch PVC plumbing
4 returns, 2 skimmers, 2 main drains
1 independently plumbed cleaner line
All electrical hookup
Pentair Intelliflo VS-3050
Pentair Clean & Clear 420 Cartridge
Kreepy Krauly Platinum with booster
In-line chlorinater
1 Pentair AmeriLite 300w 12v
6" tile at waterline
Limestone coping
30 sq ft raised beam with one 3' water sheer
44 sq ft tanning shelf with bubbler
7' bench
350 sq ft of Sundek
34 sq ft retaining wall & deck-o-drain
2 umbrella sleeves
Pole, vacuum head & hose, brush, net, test kit, & thermometer

Total Cost: $44,000

jk7228 said:
Got my first bid. It came in a little higher than I expected.

They always do :-D

-Are the skimmers and main drain plumbed separately to the pad?
-Are the returns plumbed separately to the pad? (Not as important as the suction lines)
-Nix the in-line chlorinator
-Consider a SWG (although may not be recommended with Limestone coping ... realize that this single decision may not make ever having a SWG a good idea due to possible erosion of natural stone)
-Depending on the shape, 2 lights can really make a huge difference ... especially if you someday decide to put colored LED bulbs in.

It will be helpful for you in comparing bids if you can get a bigger breakdown of the costs. Even if it is just these separate:
-pool install
-pool plaster/finish
-plumbing
-electrical
-equipment
-decking

I was not necessarily looking for answers ... just offering up some things to consider.

Ask them to give you a better breakdown of the costs for comparison purposes. If they are serious about your business, I am not sure why they would not provide it.

do a search for my austin pool build.

My pool was 65K, but had heater, spa, patio cover, 225 sq ft concrete deck, 500 sq ft stone deck.

Did you talk to multiple builders?

44K sounds about right. Are you digging through solid rock on the west side?

The other small thing you could do is pass on the Kreepy Krauly (or any cleaner they try to sell you) and just have them install the suction line with a threaded end. Then you can buy a TPC 2x or 4x and you will have a better cleaner for less. I bet they are marking up that Kreepy to make a profit on it too.

I kept my inline chlorinator in my bid since it is cheap and it has been great for the last couple of months helping me raise my CYA levels just using the 3" trichlor tabs for now. Once I hit ~50ppm I am switching to the liquidator which is already in a box in my garage. I think having the inline during startup was very convienient.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.