Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Just getting started in Austin, TX

1. Back To Top    #1

Just getting started in Austin, TX

Got my first bid. It came in a little higher than I expected. Any input on the bid would be appreciated.

18x32 free form gunite
    91 ft perimeter
    494 sq ft. 16,034 gallons
    1/2 inch grade 60 rebar
    Gunite - 12" bond beam, 8-10" walls/floor
    Wet Edge Satin Matrix interior in Aqua Blue
    2 and 1/2 inch PVC plumbing
    4 returns, 2 skimmers, 2 main drains
    1 independently plumbed cleaner line
    All electrical hookup
    Pentair Intelliflo VS-3050
    Pentair Clean & Clear 420 Cartridge
    Kreepy Krauly Platinum with booster
    In-line chlorinater
    1 Pentair AmeriLite 300w 12v
    6" tile at waterline
    Limestone coping
    30 sq ft raised beam with one 3' water sheer
    44 sq ft tanning shelf with bubbler
    7' bench
    350 sq ft of Sundek
    34 sq ft retaining wall & deck-o-drain
    2 umbrella sleeves
    Pole, vacuum head & hose, brush, net, test kit, & thermometer

Total Cost: $44,000
    32x15 freeform gunite pool (approx 15,000 gallons) with a 7x7 raised spa with 2 spillovers - tanning ledge with 2 bubblers - All Hayward Equipment - ARQ15 SWCG - 400btu heater, 60sq ft DE filter - 2HP EcoStar VS pump - Oklahoma flagstone coping - MasterTile MASMIX 3 1x1 - Sundek - Crystal Stones Smooth Caribbean Blue - TF-100 - Doheny's Discovery Robot

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Just getting started in Austin, TX

Quote Originally Posted by jk7228
    Got my first bid. It came in a little higher than I expected.
    They always do

-Are the skimmers and main drain plumbed separately to the pad?
    -Are the returns plumbed separately to the pad? (Not as important as the suction lines)
    -Nix the in-line chlorinator
    -Consider a SWG (although may not be recommended with Limestone coping ... realize that this single decision may not make ever having a SWG a good idea due to possible erosion of natural stone)
    -Depending on the shape, 2 lights can really make a huge difference ... especially if you someday decide to put colored LED bulbs in.

It will be helpful for you in comparing bids if you can get a bigger breakdown of the costs. Even if it is just these separate:
    -pool install
    -pool plaster/finish
    -plumbing
    -electrical
    -equipment
    -decking
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

The quote isn't broken down at all. I wish it was more detailed in the cost area.

The returns are "looped for even pressure" and the skimmers are independently plumbed. That's all the info I can see.
    32x15 freeform gunite pool (approx 15,000 gallons) with a 7x7 raised spa with 2 spillovers - tanning ledge with 2 bubblers - All Hayward Equipment - ARQ15 SWCG - 400btu heater, 60sq ft DE filter - 2HP EcoStar VS pump - Oklahoma flagstone coping - MasterTile MASMIX 3 1x1 - Sundek - Crystal Stones Smooth Caribbean Blue - TF-100 - Doheny's Discovery Robot

4. Back To Top    #4

I was not necessarily looking for answers ... just offering up some things to consider.

Ask them to give you a better breakdown of the costs for comparison purposes. If they are serious about your business, I am not sure why they would not provide it.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

do a search for my austin pool build.

My pool was 65K, but had heater, spa, patio cover, 225 sq ft concrete deck, 500 sq ft stone deck.

Did you talk to multiple builders?

44K sounds about right. Are you digging through solid rock on the west side?
    17,800 gallon, IG pool, 595 sq feet (17x35x4.5 avg rectangle), Hayward 525 cartridge filter, diamondbrite, 2 hp 2 speed hayward tristar filter, Stenner 45mhp10 automatically chlorinating

6. Back To Top    #6

We are out west so there will be tons of rock. We met with a few builders and this is our first bid. We get another one tomorrow.

Which builder did you go with? Would you recommend them?

7. Back To Top    #7

The other small thing you could do is pass on the Kreepy Krauly (or any cleaner they try to sell you) and just have them install the suction line with a threaded end. Then you can buy a TPC 2x or 4x and you will have a better cleaner for less. I bet they are marking up that Kreepy to make a profit on it too.

I kept my inline chlorinator in my bid since it is cheap and it has been great for the last couple of months helping me raise my CYA levels just using the 3" trichlor tabs for now. Once I hit ~50ppm I am switching to the liquidator which is already in a box in my garage. I think having the inline during startup was very convienient.