Is an 8600 Gal IG playpool going to get too hot in Phoenix?

ZZZoe

Jun 4, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
According to the pool calculator the pool I would like built will be 8600 Gal. This seems very low volume in comparison to what I'm seeing on this site. It will be a 12 x 24 rectangle playpool 3' 5' 3' depth with steps on each end. At least half of the pool will get full sun for majority of the day. Do you think it will be unbearably warm in July/August. Temps in 100's, not much better at night.

Re: Is an 8600 Gal IG playpool going to get too hot in Phoen

Depends on your definition of too hot! In Tucson ours will get up to about 95 at the highest, which is pretty warm but not too hot. It's nice at night.

The water will likely stay below 90 as there is significant heat loss due to evaporation and at night when it is "cooler" :)

You could cool it more by rigging up a little fountain in the summer (although this will increase evaporation and thus raise pH).

Above ground pools seem to get MUCH hotter in the summer ... almost unbearable.

MITS: Is 95 with or without your solar and/or blanket? I do not recall my pools ever getting that hot with solar off and no blanket.

MITS thank you for your quick reply. I want it to be refreshing during the day. Also Ive been told that the higher the water temp the harder it is to maintain water quality. I definitely want SWG and Pebblesmooth surface.

ZZZoe said:
Also Ive been told that the higher the water temp the harder it is to maintain water quality.

I would not say that is true. While very cold water is easy since algae can not grow, once the water gets over 60 degrees or so you just need to maintain the appropriate FC levels ... the intense sun will require you to run with a higher stabilizer (CYA) level to protect the FC.

Jason, Thank you for the advice. This is all so new for me. This forum will definitely be my touchstone for any issues I will face, as I'm sure there will be many!

Reading through Pool School (button at upper right) will help you learn a great deal about your pool ... probably more than most pool store employees know ;) {since many of them just read what the computer tells them to try to sell you}

Melt In The Sun said:
Jbliz, that is with the cover off. No solar here.

Wow. Pretty sure mine does not get that hot. I think I am maybe at 85 now (no cover/solar). Wish I had the solar installed to bump it up a bit.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.