Now my DE filter is showing no pressure! - Bump up new ?

Kelleyaynn

LifeTime Supporter
Mar 23, 2012
Wilmington, DE
Okay, I opened the pump lid and cleaned out the basket. There was debris in it, but it didn't seem that bad, that my pressure should be going down. I put the lid back on (and poured more water in, just in case, then started the pump. Now it is reading no pressure (or maybe a psi of 1). :grrrr: :?: :?: Water is coming out of the returns, and I can see the water go through the pump. But one thing just occurred to me - could the water level in the pool be too high? We've had a lot of rain the past week, and the water level is right about to the top of the skimmer opening. I'm at a total loss.

Kelley

Re: Now my DE filter is showing no pressure!

The water level can not be too high for your pump/filter to function ... it can be too high for skimming of the surface to occur.

Do you have a multi-valve? Is it on Filter and not Recirc?
Did you bleed the air out of the filter by opening the air release valve on the top of the filter?

With the air in the filter, the pressure may not be read correctly (although the air should be pressurized as well ... so this may not explain it).

I think most filters have an air release screw or valve at the top ... looking at diagrams online, do you have a screw just opposite the pressure gauge? Maybe post a picture of your filter.

There is also a chance that the gauge just went bad ... you could try replacing it (< $10)

jblizzle said:
With the air in the filter, the pressure may not be read correctly (although the air should be pressurized as well ... so this may not explain it).

I think most filters have an air release screw or valve at the top ... looking at diagrams online, do you have a screw just opposite the pressure gauge? Maybe post a picture of your filter.

There is also a chance that the gauge just went bad ... you could try replacing it (< $10)

I'll post a picture tomorrow. It's getting late and raining, so not a good time to take a picture. Thanks for the help.

Kelley

Re: Now my DE filter is showing no pressure! - new question

Leave pump on. Open valve until water shoots out.

Posted with Tapatalk ... sorry if I sound short ... hate typing on phone :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Re: Now my DE filter is showing no pressure! - update

I tapped on the filter gauge and nothing happened. Then I opened the air release valve, and almost nothing happened. I couldn't feel air coming out, but after a while a little bit of dirty water dribbled out. I left the valve open for about 15 minutes, and never got water shooting out of it. Sure seems like there isn't much pressure going through there. As for the flow, it looks okay through the pump lid, and feels strong at the deep end return. At the shallow end return, however, it hardly feels like anything is coming out.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

What pressure did you used to get on the filter gauge?

Sounds like something is blocked.

Can you put the multi-valve on recirculate? Do the returns in the pool feel a lot stronger?
If so, then the issue is likely something in the filter.
If not, then something may be wrong in the plumbing.

I put the multiport valve on recirculate, and the return water doesn't really feel much stronger. It already felt pretty strong.

One other thing I noticed, and I don't know if it is meaningful, is that pockets of air come out through the return into the pool every 10 seconds or so.

In your previous post, you indicated that hardly any flow was coming out of the shallow return ... did that increase in recirc mode?

You are not seeing any air bubbles / churning in the pump basket? You should not be getting air through the returns.

hdross said:
Could the material on your baffels be torn or worn out. Mine was, and I was not building any pressure until after I replaced them, and re-charged the filter!

If this was the problem, the flow should have been significantly different when on Recirculate.

You never did post what your normal pressure was before you took the filter apart.

The original pressure when I started the pump was 7 psi. After shocking the pool and cleaning it, I saw the pressure rise to 18 psi. Thought it was time to backwash, so I turned the pump off while I got what I needed. When I turned the pump back on, the pressure was reading about 5 psi. Over the next several days it stayed there, and then again, I turned off the pump at some point, and when I turned it back on, the pressure was reading about 1 psi, which it still is.

I do not feel any increase in pressure coming from the shallow end return when I put it on recirculate. It feels like almost nothing is coming out of that return.

I'm really new to all this. Perhaps this is something I should bring in someone to take a look at? And pay lots of attention and ask lots of questions when they do?......

Thanks again for the help.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.