Filter controls question

danpik

TFP Guide
Jun 4, 2012
western NY
Hi all.
New member here with something of an embarasing question.

I have owned this used above ground 18' pool for about 10 years now. never had any major issues that I could not resolve. Anyway, while replacing the divirter valve and spring I got to realizing that I never used 2 of the 6 control positions on the valve. I know what the filter position is obviously as well as the backwash and waste positions. I am assuming that the Closed position will stop all water flow either way thru the filter. Not sure of the need but it is there none-the-less. the two I am currious about is the Rinse and Recirculate positions. I have never used these and do not know what they are for. The filter in question is a Sparco brand filter which I believe is a re-badged Pentair Tagelus which is what the parts cross referenced to. Here is a link to the filter in question http://www.poolpartsonline.com/p-642-pe ... lters.aspx Any help with this puzzle and what I should be doing with them would be greatly appreciated.

Dan

"Rinse" is used to settle the sand bed after backwash. "recirculate" simply bypasses the filter and allows you to circulate the water through the pool and pump, etc. but not through the filter.

Rinse is used after backwash. The water goes through the filter the normal direction, but exits to wast instead of back to the pool.
Usually you want to alternate between backwash and rinse a few times. Some people use rinse while adding DE so that none ends up in the pool while recharging.

Re-circulation bypasses the filter. Allows you to maintain water circulation if a problem happens with the filter (or if it is clogging too fast while clearing a swamp ... allowing you to sleep and keep the water moving).

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.