Determining pump size for above ground pool

Sep 1, 2008
I have an Intex 13'x42" round above ground pool that came with the 633T pump that I plan to upgrade. Local hardware store has the 635T (1500gph) for $64.99 and the 633T (2500gph) for 99.99. I'm leaning toward the 633T to use with my SWG (Intex CS8100). Pump and SWG are mainly run at night with a solar cover laying on top of the water. Sometimes I will run the pump when there are a lot of people in the pool. Here's what I'm wondering:

Is the 633T too much for this pool and/or SWG?
Will an upgraded pump cause the solar cover to slide off the water?

Thank you!

How many months do you use your pool? Ours is used three months of the year, so I'm curious about the savings in cartridges. I'm also thinking the kids may lose interest in a couple of years.

If your pool doesn't ever get very dirty then the cartridges can be rinsed and reused for several months. I will have to agree on the sand filter though. It would be less of a hassle in the long run. Plus it will capture more than the Intex cartridges will. The 2650 sand filter/pump and the 2500 are almost comparable in gph the only diff is the filter type. Sand on the 2650 and 1600 or cartridges on the 2500 pump you looked were considering.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.