Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Determining pump size for above ground pool

1. Back To Top    #1

Determining pump size for above ground pool

I have an Intex 13'x42" round above ground pool that came with the 633T pump that I plan to upgrade. Local hardware store has the 635T (1500gph) for $64.99 and the 633T (2500gph) for 99.99. I'm leaning toward the 633T to use with my SWG (Intex CS8100). Pump and SWG are mainly run at night with a solar cover laying on top of the water. Sometimes I will run the pump when there are a lot of people in the pool. Here's what I'm wondering:

Is the 633T too much for this pool and/or SWG?
    Will an upgraded pump cause the solar cover to slide off the water?

Thank you!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Determining pump size for above ground pool

The 2500 has a larger filter than the smaller intex pumps which will be better in the long run. It shouldn't be too big for your pool either.

24'x52" Artesian w/ Portifino liner - Hayward 1hp powerflo matrix w/24" sand filter - AquaTrol RJ SWG. Solar heating to come. -

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks for the quick response! I'll give the 2500gph a try.

4. Back To Top    #4

Go with the sand filter, you will only thank yourself later. (56671EG) you can find it for around 200 on amazon. Its cheaper than buying a new filter every 1-2 weeks(if you plan on keeping your pool for more than a year).
    16'x48" Intex Ultraframe Pool, 5000 Gallon(54451EG)
    Intex Krystal Clear Saltwater Salt Water Chlorine Generator (54601E)
    Intex 2650 GPH Above Ground Pool Sand Filter Pump (56671EG)

5. Back To Top    #5

X2 on the sand filter! Mine was $200 @ the pool store 2.5 years ago & still going strong. I've probably saved that much in cartridges & replacement water by now, plus I have a better setup that allows me to vacuum.
    Intex Ultra Frame 18' X 48" 7600 +/- gallons
    Columbia 50 LB sand filter/ HP pump, $$ WELL spent(2nd best thing bought for the pool)
    Virginia Beach, VA
    TF100 test kit- Money WELL spent (best thing I've ever bought for the pool)
    Leisure bay hot tub

6. Back To Top    #6

How many months do you use your pool? Ours is used three months of the year, so I'm curious about the savings in cartridges. I'm also thinking the kids may lose interest in a couple of years.

7. Back To Top    #7

If your pool doesn't ever get very dirty then the cartridges can be rinsed and reused for several months. I will have to agree on the sand filter though. It would be less of a hassle in the long run. Plus it will capture more than the Intex cartridges will. The 2650 sand filter/pump and the 2500 are almost comparable in gph the only diff is the filter type. Sand on the 2650 and 1600 or cartridges on the 2500 pump you looked were considering.

24'x52" Artesian w/ Portifino liner - Hayward 1hp powerflo matrix w/24" sand filter - AquaTrol RJ SWG. Solar heating to come. -

8. Back To Top    #8

Thanks - with the info on rewashing the filter I decided to go with the 633T and save some $. Now just waiting on the hose adapters from Intex.