Pool store said this and I listened.....

Sorry for the wrong terminology-

FC- 30
CC- 0
PH 7.2
CH n/a
TA 80
CYA 60

I am using the powder CL test, not the drop test. Taking 60 to 63 drops to turn clear- test for cc is negative. Not using wrong reagents- Could the powder be bad? When I look at FC levels with the drop test, the color is dark orange, so I know the chlorine levels are high. I'm talking little specks of algae on steps, and some at seams.

I turned off SWG last night to look for an overnight loss and it went from 34 to 30 +/-. So, today I pushed boost bc it is very sunny and warm. I can turn off swg at night if need be ( I didn't want to take a chance)

Haven't added bleach for two days bc the FC has stayed at or above 30, so I saw no need to add more.

If you're shocking (and it seems you are), turn the SWG off till you're done. It only will skew your test results. You can't tell how much chlorine you lose if you're adding arbitrary unknown amounts via SWG.

Let the chlorine drop to ~15ppm. Test and dose every couple to a few hours. Just bleach for now, no SWG. Let's see what this pool really does on it's own.

This algae on the bottom of the pool is odd, and makes me wonder if there's a circulation problem. Can you point your return eye towards the floor of the pool?

Ok I'll try that- I have a two speed pump and circulation seems to be working well- ex, I add muractic acid to lower ph- it lowered it in good time. The jets blow pretty hard as I have them going in one direction barely on the surface. I'm not sure if going to the bottom will help- not close to the jets. I have kept the pump on high speed during the night as well. Again, little lines and spots appear- strange.

Next question- 15 ppm is below shock level- won't I risk algae again? That's why I've kept the swg on just to be sure.

Depends on which source you use for shock:CYA levels. Pool school shock level for high CYA is a little higher than pool calculator, and at lower levels is a bit lower. I routinely use pool calculator.

However... I just ran it again and I guess it wasn't updating properly last time because I see pool calculator give 21ppm as shock for 60ppm CYA. I know I checked it and clicked in another field last time because I thought it was low but it didn't update. Sorry. So, ok, 21 then. Or 24 if you go with the chart in pool school. Either works. Don't ask me to explain it... that's Chem Geek's job. I forget to check the chart when CYA is high and just plug numbers into the calculator. It's accepted here that shocking at either pool calculator levels or chart levels does the trick.

Let it fall to shock level without the SWG. Chose which level you like best.

Kev68ss said:
Ok I'll try that- I have a two speed pump and circulation seems to be working well- ex, I add muractic acid to lower ph- it lowered it in good time. The jets blow pretty hard as I have them going in one direction barely on the surface. I'm not sure if going to the bottom will help- not close to the jets. I have kept the pump on high speed during the night as well. Again, little lines and spots appear- strange.

Next question- 15 ppm is below shock level- won't I risk algae again? That's why I've kept the swg on just to be sure.
I agree to turn off the SWG until you are completely done shocking. With CYA of 60 your shock level is between 18 and 24.

See if you can vac up the spots and lines, and make sure those areas get brushed.

If the returns are barely on the surface, try pointing them slightly downward, all in the same direction of course.

Turned SWG off last night- if my 870 powder is correct when I do the drop test, I went from 32 to 25 overnight. I had a few spots of algae this morning again. How is this happening if I'm over the 25ppm mark? Again, I looked at the test where you drop 5 drops of the yellow top and it turned orange (FC test)?

Are you aggressively brushing the floor and walls of your pool? Those areas get poor circulation. The algae will use up the chlorine near the floor and walls, and since there isn't good circulation in those areas, the FC near the floor and walls can be lower than the rest of the pool allowing the algae to keep growing.

Brushing everyday, yes. Question- what does it matter what my overnight FC loss is if I'm keeping it way above shock level- this is where I'm confused. I am still +/- 30 FC and it seems it is dropping 1 or 2 overnight- but it is still well above shock level- I put a little more bleach in, brush, and run my robotic vacuum (for the dead stuff) I am scared to turn off my swg and get to 16 or so, bc I still have little spots coming up at 30. I will turn off my swg when I don't see anymore growth and then I can check overnight loss- Not being a harda**, just don't understand what it matters if I continue to keep way over shock level- thanks again for all your help out there guys! It's raining today, so I'll see what happens. Just did 60 drops of 871 (or wahtever) until my chlorine test turned clear- still no CC so that's good.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.