Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pool store said this and I listened.....

1. Back To Top    #1

Pool store said this and I listened.....

OK- here's my readings- matched the pool store by the way-
    CL 6
    FC 0
    CYA 60
    TA 80
    PH 7.6
    Salt 3100 ppm

My temp is 82 and I have noticed the pool is getting darker blue, not crystal clear like it has been- rain recently- They said my phosphates were over 1000 and I needed phosphate remover and clarifier, so I bit the advice- I know, I probably got stuck, but what the heck.

Looking at my numbers, my water should be clear- was she right about the phosphates?? I guess I'll be able to tell in two days- said to backwash after 48 hrs. Any ideas? This happened last year after really bad rain- the water gets "dark" but not dirty looking if that makes sense.
    20x40 In ground Grecian Lazy L- Vinyl
    AutoPilot SWG Dig-220, SC-48
    Hayward Dual speed 1.5 hp pump
    Hayward sand filter
    Blue Diamond Robotic Vacuum
    BBB method BABY!!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pool store said this and I listened.....

She's right that they are in there, but wrong in telling you need to do something about them. Probably one of the most common pool store comments we talk about here.

Your CYA is a little low for your SWG. You need to be up around 70-80.

So am I reading that right, you have total chlorine of 6, but free chlorine of 0? Welcome to the shock process. pool-school/shocking_your_pool

Sorry, if those numbers are right, that's your problem.
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

You will not have a good experience trying to blend pool store's advice with our advice. You really should pick one or the other and go with it.

Something is wrong with your test results. How are you testing?
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

Sorry, FC = 6, but CC =0. So, now what are you thinking?
    Hayward sand filter
    BBB method BABY!!

5. Back To Top    #5

Follow the Shocking Your Pool process until you pass the 3 tests to stop.

For CYA of 60, you shock FC level is 24ppm ... stay above this at all times.

What kind of filter do you have? Add it to your signature please.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

6. Back To Top    #6

Added- I have a sand filter- not sure what size- big one.... Anyway, why are you thinking shock when I have a CL of 6, no signs of algea, and 0 CC? Just curious.

Thanks
    Hayward sand filter
    BBB method BABY!!

7. Back To Top    #7

Cloudy water can be a sign of something in the water ... which may not show up as CC.

If there is nothing growing, you will pass the 3 tests very quickly and can move on with enjoying your pool

EDIT: Or at least due the OCLT to first eliminate that nothing is living in the water ... does not have to be a shock level.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle
    Cloudy water can be a sign of something in the water ... which may not show up as CC.

If there is nothing growing, you will pass the 3 tests very quickly and can move on with enjoying your pool

EDIT: Or at least due the OCLT to first eliminate that nothing is living in the water ... does not have to be a shock level.
    Yep, totaly agree with Jason.

Quote Originally Posted by Kev68ss
    OK- here's my readings- matched the pool store by the way-
    What test kit are you using?
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

9. Back To Top    #9

One more thing, your test does not mention calcium hardness, which is one potential cause of cloudy water
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

10. Back To Top    #10

Test kit-TF100. Algea growing all over bottom today- I put the phosphate remover and clarifier in- pool did turn very clear, but the algae is there- will shock with bleach tonight- should I pour in skimmers- or all around pool?
    Also, what does OCLT test mean?

Thanks-off to Wal Mart for Bleach
    Hayward sand filter
    BBB method BABY!!

11. Back To Top    #11

In the Industry

You will not have a good experience trying to blend pool store's advice with our advice. You really should pick one or the other and go with it.
    based on your last post, it looks like you have not yet made that decision, correct?
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

12. Back To Top    #12

Also based on your last post it does not sound like you have read Pool School ... specifically the link Robbie and I previously posted.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

13. Back To Top    #13

Quote Originally Posted by Kev68ss
    Test kit-TF100. Algea growing all over bottom today- I put the phosphate remover and clarifier in- pool did turn very clear, but the algae is there- will shock with bleach tonight- should I pour in skimmers- or all around pool?
    Also, what does OCLT test mean?

Thanks-off to Wal Mart for Bleach
    OCLT is "Overnight Chlorine Loss Test." It is one of the three tests your pool needs to pass in order for you to end the shock process. You can just slowly pour the bleach in front of a return. Make sure your pump is running 24/7 during the shock process.

Remember, the BBB method is less about chlorinating with bleach and more about knowing why your pool needs the chlorine. In your case, you need to shock your pool because the rainwater may have introduced additional organic material, which used up your chlorine faster than your SWG could create it, resulting in a too-low FC level, which gave the algae a window of opportunity to bloom. Do you remember what your test results were right after the rain?
    33k in-ground plaster pool and spa / Goldline T-15 SWG w/ Aqualogic controller / RS2000 Hayward pump / Pentair Clean & Clear Plus 420 sq. ft. cartridge filter

14. Back To Top    #14

I have read the pool school advice- I had already put in clarifier, so I was past that. I am doing the shock treatment tonight. After the rain, my chlorine levels stayed at 6, they are at 7 now, so low cholrine wasn't the problem-that's where I got confused- all my numbers looked perfect- even the pool store said that- that's why I thought phospates were high, so I believed them- it did clear my water though! Anyway, I am doing the shocking method to 24 as described and brushing bottom, pump 24/7. Let's see what happened. Still confused on algae growth with CYA 60, FC 6 CC 0 and ph 7.6??
    Hayward sand filter
    BBB method BABY!!

15. Back To Top    #15

Target ranges assume a clean pool. If you have algae already, even if you maintain target levels, algae will overwhelm the chlorine. Keep shocking.
    33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1HP 2spd PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months
    The most important article on this site - The ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

16. Back To Top    #16

Quote Originally Posted by Smykowski
    Target ranges assume a clean pool. If you have algae already, even if you maintain target levels, algae will overwhelm the chlorine. Keep shocking.
    Yup. And if the FC EVER dropped down below your minimum or to 0 ... that would have allow the algae to start.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

17. Back To Top    #17

OK- big algae growth now at very small on bottom of pool- continuing to brush and run pump 24/7. My bleach is keeping my ch very high- just went and tested and it was 40. Can't believe at levels like that I am having any growth at all. I want to make sure I'm not having a loss at night- (1) should I turn off my swg until loss is less tan 1 ppm? I actually hit the boost setting yesterday and believe that, plus the fact I'm running at 60%, is keeping ch high.

Water is getting much clearer now also. (2) Will the dead algae still be green on the bottom and can be vacuumed, or will it disappear all together?

Thanks again for the help on these 2 questions
    Hayward sand filter
    BBB method BABY!!

18. Back To Top    #18

Yes turn off the SWG.
    I think most turns white when dead.

Posted with Tapatalk ... sorry if I sound short ... hate typing on phone
    Jason, TFP Moderator

19. Back To Top    #19

OK- I have had Ch levels over 30 for the last 3 1/2 days. PH is 7.2. Brushing daily as well as backwashed twice. Yes pool is looking pretty clear, not perfect. I have noticed places, especially in the seams where algae still is showing up- is this normal?? How can it grow with over 3 days at +30 CH levels??

Am I missing something?
    Hayward sand filter
    BBB method BABY!!

20. Back To Top    #20

Around here (and elsewhere in pool land actually), CH refers to calcium hardness. We use TC and FC (Total Chlorine and Free Chlorine) to distinguish between chlorine and calcium hardness - FYI

Did you turn the SWG off? You're dosing with bleach how often, and with what quantities?

At 30ppm FC you're 6ppm ABOVE mustard algae shock level (for CYA of 60). No algae should be able to live through that. Your shock level is actually 15ppm according to the pool calculator so I'm not sure what's going on other than the concept that you're not actually at 30ppm, or maybe you're using the wrong reagents for testing.

Can you post a full set of results from your TF100 test kit? FC, TC, pH, TA, CH, and CYA. Use the powder chlorine test, not the yellow drop OTO test please.
    Where kids swim in 54 degree water, turn blue, and giggle happily cuz they got a POOL!
    Year 3 BBB -15' x 48" Intex Metal Frame - Was using (2) 1000gph Intex cartridge filters (see Full time pumping Intex). 2012, converted to 1600gph and sand filter+SWG = Sand filter love affair!
    Don't waste time and energy looking for a better value on test kits, the TF100 is the best deal around. I did the looking and spent the extra money, but you don't have to make the same mistake. Just go here: TFTestkits. I use Pool Calculator for min/max, and shocking chlorine levels.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast