Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Fair cost to fix a leaky pipe

1. Back To Top    #1

Fair cost to fix a leaky pipe

The leak detector guys determined that there is a little leak in the suction pipe carrying water from the pool to the filter. I talked to a guy at a local pool store who said he would charge $100/hour to fix it, and that it would probably only take an hour or 2 but he could not promise anything. The pipe is only about 18 inches under ground. He said if it was a leaky joint it would be quick and easy, but if it was flexible hose that was collapsing it would he harder.

$100/hour seems a little high, but if it is only and hour that is no big deal.

Does this all sound fair and reasonable, or should I shop around?
    36 x 18 oval pool, inground, plaster pool.
    27000 gallons
    1 hp pump. Sand filter
    Pool built in 1971.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Fair cost to fix a leaky pipe

$100 an hour seems a little high - even for the bay area here. It's basically a side job/nixer/barn job that has little to no technical aspect to it. I would have assumed $50 to $70 an hour. Digging seems like it will be the toughest part.

3. Back To Top    #3

I can dig it myself. If it is simple PVC I think I can fix it myself, but I wouldn't mind paying someone who knows what they are doing to check it out. I don't want to pay $100/hour if I don't have to.

I guess I need to be super careful when digging not to damage the pipe with the shovel. I probably need to hire someone who knows what they are doing.
    27000 gallons
    1 hp pump. Sand filter
    Pool built in 1971.

4. Back To Top    #4

Even if you spend an hour digging and you find it's not normal PVC, you saved $100 you'd have had to pay them.
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!

5. Back To Top    #5

Even if you spend an hour digging and you find it's not normal PVC, you saved $100 you'd have had to pay them.
    My only concern is that I will hit the pipe and damage it while digging.
    27000 gallons
    1 hp pump. Sand filter
    Pool built in 1971.

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by TomAtlanta
    My only concern is that I will hit the pipe and damage it while digging.
    Fixing shallow pipes is trivial. People dig up PVC routinely with backhoes without damaging it. Just dig slowly and watch the hole. No chopping with the spade and you'll be fine.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

7. Back To Top    #7

What if it is flexible hose pipe? Is there any greater danger of damaging that?
    27000 gallons
    1 hp pump. Sand filter
    Pool built in 1971.

8. Back To Top    #8

I don't know... but it seems to me if you damage the damaged/leaking pipe digging down to the pipe you simply need to use a bigger patch; 2 feet of pipe/hose instead of 1 foot.

So, the risk of damaging $2 worth of pipe is better than paying the tech $100 in labor... to save the $2 worth of pipe.

Just my thought...
    -- Guy --
    10K gallons in 21' Round 52 inch wall Aqualeader AG, Hayward Power Flow LX 1.5 HP pump motor, Hayward Perflex EC50AC DE filter w/Cellulose, Wide mouth skimmer, 2013 new Diver Dan (craigslist) to replace the faded old Hayward AquaBug. TF-100

9. Back To Top    #9

I don't know... but it seems to me if you damage the damaged/leaking pipe digging down to the pipe you simply need to use a bigger patch; 2 feet of pipe/hose instead of 1 foot.
    So, the risk of damaging $2 worth of pipe is better than paying the tech $100 in labor... to save the $2 worth of pipe.
    Just my thought...
    Yes, of course you are correct. I don't have much experience of confidence with this stuff, but of course I could figure out how to do it. I need to develop more of these skills now that I am retired.

Thanks for stating the obvious, which for some reason was not obvious to me when I asked the question.
    27000 gallons
    1 hp pump. Sand filter
    Pool built in 1971.