I never use Borax or Baking soda. I've spoken out before that the term is confusing and misleading, but it seems to have taken hold. People often believe they need to add baking soda to a pool without testing TA or pH.

I cringe when I see the post from new members saying "I have bleach, borax, and baking soda!!! How much of each do I add?" with no test results.

BBB is simple to remember and around for along time, but the method is more about understanding your pools chemistry through testing than about the specific products you use.

There has been much discussion about changing it but to what? Nothing seems to be short enough and, no matter what, BBB seems to stick.

We have even had discussions about a contest for the new name...perhaps even with a few bucks involved....Do you think it wouldget much interest?

duraleigh said:
There has been much discussion about changing it but to what? Nothing seems to be short enough and, no matter what, BBB seems to stick.

We have even had discussions about a contest for the new name...perhaps even with a few bucks involved....Do you think it wouldget much interest?

Might be way too simple but how about the TFP method??

:mrgreen:

ship of fools said:
duraleigh said:

It would be good and simple, but probably claiming credit where it's not due.

JohnT said:
ship of fools said:

It would be good and simple, but probably claiming credit where it's not due.
I think this forum would be better served by simply throwing out the "method" terminology entirely. All it does is confuse things. Think about it. Everything in the BBB forum would fit just as nicely under the Testing and Balancing Your Water forum. The "What is BBB?" article in Pool School could be renamed "Testing and Balancing Your Water", removing any reference to a "method", without doing harm to the info presented there.

But if it must be retained, it should be changed to TYOP. Or alternately, TYO, for Test Y'Own. :mrgreen: Make the check payable to Beez.

I understand the sentimental reasons for not wanting to change, as well as the historical throwback. But honestly, the hinge to the whole thing is accurate test results. And I believe Taylor was doing that long before PF. And I would guess that bleach, borax and baking soda were almost certainly used extensively before the pool industry started marketing their "specialized" products, and "the pool store". Now the experimentation with FC & CYA that led to the "Best Guess" and Chlorine/CYA charts is different, and credit should definitely be retained there.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Let's see, I put borax, salt, bleach and muratic acid, in my pool. Somehow I don't think the BS-BM method will catch on. Since the methods taught here do produce a Trouble Free Pool, TFP method is truly is what it is.

Like many here, the two main things I add are bleach and muriatic acid. I've never had any need to add the other "Bs" to my pool.

Adding an "A" in there and making it "BABB" would make sense if you wanted the acronym to most closely spell out the most commonly used chemicals, but 'BBB' has a couple of redeeming qualities that should be noted.

1) It's a sort of "brand" which is tied to the identity of the site.

2) While Muriatic acid is something that many/most pool owners who frequent this site use, it is a standard pool additive of which there is no real cheaper alternative to. Bleach, borax and baking soda take the place of more expensive pool store chemicals. In a way they represent the entire point of this site.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.