Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: BABB

1. Back To Top    #1

BABB

Just curious. Why is it not the BABB method instead of the BBB method? After all without acid, I would suspect most of us would never have a trouble free pool.
    10,000 gallon
    Viking Freeform Fiberglass Inground Pool. FNS Plus DE Filter Pentair Challenger .75hp pump

NC KANSAS44

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: BABB

I never use Borax or Baking soda. I've spoken out before that the term is confusing and misleading, but it seems to have taken hold. People often believe they need to add baking soda to a pool without testing TA or pH.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

3. Back To Top    #3

I cringe when I see the post from new members saying "I have bleach, borax, and baking soda!!! How much of each do I add?" with no test results.

BBB is simple to remember and around for along time, but the method is more about understanding your pools chemistry through testing than about the specific products you use.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

There has been much discussion about changing it but to what? Nothing seems to be short enough and, no matter what, BBB seems to stick.

We have even had discussions about a contest for the new name...perhaps even with a few bucks involved....Do you think it wouldget much interest?
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by duraleigh
    There has been much discussion about changing it but to what? Nothing seems to be short enough and, no matter what, BBB seems to stick.

We have even had discussions about a contest for the new name...perhaps even with a few bucks involved....Do you think it wouldget much interest?

Might be way too simple but how about the TFP method??

21,000 gallon inground
    Haywood Sand Filter
    Vinyl Liner

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by ship of fools
    Quote Originally Posted by duraleigh

It would be good and simple, but probably claiming credit where it's not due.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by JohnT
    Quote Originally Posted by ship of fools

It would be good and simple, but probably claiming credit where it's not due.
    I think this forum would be better served by simply throwing out the "method" terminology entirely. All it does is confuse things. Think about it. Everything in the BBB forum would fit just as nicely under the Testing and Balancing Your Water forum. The "What is BBB?" article in Pool School could be renamed "Testing and Balancing Your Water", removing any reference to a "method", without doing harm to the info presented there.

But if it must be retained, it should be changed to TYOP. Or alternately, TYO, for Test Y'Own. Make the check payable to Beez.

I understand the sentimental reasons for not wanting to change, as well as the historical throwback. But honestly, the hinge to the whole thing is accurate test results. And I believe Taylor was doing that long before PF. And I would guess that bleach, borax and baking soda were almost certainly used extensively before the pool industry started marketing their "specialized" products, and "the pool store". Now the experimentation with FC & CYA that led to the "Best Guess" and Chlorine/CYA charts is different, and credit should definitely be retained there.
    20K gal IG plaster pool, Manually chlorinated with 6% bleach, 1.5 HP Sta-Rite Dura-Glas II pump, Pentair FNS Plus 48 DE filter, Polaris 280

8. Back To Top    #8

I propose KICK.

Keep It Cheap, Kids.

Because in reality, that's what BBB is really doing.
    6000gal IG gunite // Hayward cartridge filter // rooftop solar heater // 32ppm borates
    Only two chemicals go in my pool! - bleach and muriatic acid!

9. Back To Top    #9

I like SPC.
    Simple Pool Chemistry
    16k gal plaster with raised spa, Jandy DEV60 filter, 2 HP 2-speed SHPF Jandy Stealth pump
    Hayward Aqua Rite T-15 SWCG, Jandy LXi 400k BTU NG heater, 350 sq.ft. of Sun Star solar panels, TF-100 Test Kit, Dolphin s300i Cleaner
    Test Kits . Pool Math . Chlorine/CYA Chart . The SLAM Process

10. Back To Top    #10

In the Industry

I don't think there is any particular nostalgia for retaining "BBB". It's just that it seems to stick.

Interesting posts, ping and Beez, they both deserve some thought.
    Dave S.

11. Back To Top    #11

In the Industry

Thinking a little like brainchasm, how about stealing the old military term K.I.S.S.
    Dave S.

12. Back To Top    #12

TFP Guide

Let's see, I put borax, salt, bleach and muratic acid, in my pool. Somehow I don't think the BS-BM method will catch on. Since the methods taught here do produce a Trouble Free Pool, TFP method is truly is what it is.
    chiefwej
    Tucson, AZ
    16x36 rectangular (19k) Pebble Tec play pool/spa, Pentair Intelliflo VS 011018, Super II 2hp (spa), Aqua Rite T-15 SWG, Pro Grid 60 DE, Hayward H400 & Heliocol Solar heating, A&A infloor system, fill water w/high CH and TA, 50 ppm borates,TF-100 test kit

13. Back To Top    #13

Like many here, the two main things I add are bleach and muriatic acid. I've never had any need to add the other "Bs" to my pool.

Adding an "A" in there and making it "BABB" would make sense if you wanted the acronym to most closely spell out the most commonly used chemicals, but 'BBB' has a couple of redeeming qualities that should be noted.

1) It's a sort of "brand" which is tied to the identity of the site.

2) While Muriatic acid is something that many/most pool owners who frequent this site use, it is a standard pool additive of which there is no real cheaper alternative to. Bleach, borax and baking soda take the place of more expensive pool store chemicals. In a way they represent the entire point of this site.
    21,000 Gallon IG Plaster with Spillover Spa (Built in 1978) | 48 sq/ft Hayward DE Filter | 3.0 HP Pentair Variable Speed Pump | Hayward H250FDN Heater| 8 Gallon Liquidator | Taylor K-2005 | Taylor FAS-DPD Chlorine Test | Taylor "SpeedStir"

14. Back To Top    #14

I just call it 'pool stores suck'
    Theresa and/or Gary

Complete DIY: 20x40' rectangle. Resin walls, vinyl lined. 33000 gallons. Full width steps. 8' deep. Diving board, slide. Hayward pro series super pump, sand filter. Raypack 336K BTU heater. Main drain, 2 skimmers, 3 returns, 2 amerilite lights with quick change lens Aquamatic auto cover and a partridge in a pear tree.
    Breaking our backs in the hopes that one of our six kids will care for us when we are old ;)

15. Back To Top    #15

KISS Keep It Simple Stupid
    Kris
    In ground 26,000 gal. 16x36 Avg depth-6'
    Vinyl
    sand filter used 24/7
    auto cover
    Elgin/Illinois