Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Creating a known Sample of CYA

1. Back To Top    #1

Houston, TX

Creating a known Sample of CYA

I've tried searching for this answer but my google-fu is failing me.

I want to create a known sample of CYA concentration. That is to say, when I mix it with the reagent then put it in the viewing tube I should get 40ppm.

For a 50ml sample how much plain water (does it have to have chlorine in it?) to stabilizer liquid do I need to add?

Mainly I want to train my eyes so that feel more confident reading my pool's CYA levels.
    14x28 Rectangle 13,000 gallons
    Jandy CV640 cartrige filter
    IG, Diamond brite quartz finish.
    Jandy 2hp 2 speed pump
    TF-100 test kit

2. Back To Top    #2
    SW Indiana

Re: Creating a known Sample of CYA

Taylor offers such samples, ... n-p34.html
    Making your own to a useful accuracy would probably require equipment you don't have.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

3. Back To Top    #3

You can order a nice sample here....

Very affordable

44,000 IG Salt Pool - Pentair VF, Quad 100, Polaris 280, IC60, 400 Mater Temp

4. Back To Top    #4
    Lemoore, CA

According to the pool calculator 1 gram of stabilizer in 5 gallons of water will give you a cya level of 52. All you need is a kitchen scale, a 5 gallon bucket and a container that can accurately measure liquid.

Of course that assumes the accuracy of the pool calculator.

21,000 Gallon IG Plaster with Spillover Spa (Built in 1978) | 48 sq/ft Hayward DE Filter | 3.0 HP Pentair Variable Speed Pump | Hayward H250FDN Heater| 8 Gallon Liquidator | Taylor K-2005 | Taylor FAS-DPD Chlorine Test | Taylor "SpeedStir"

5. Back To Top    #5
    Silver Spring, MD

toadlife, it isn't the accuracy of the Pool Calculator that would cause a problem with your approach, it is the purity of the CYA and your ability to measure 1 gram accurately (most household scales are rather imprecise). Most people attempting to do this will get +-20%, or worse, results, which pretty much invalidates your approach for anyone not using laboratory grade equipment.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6
    North Georgia

Break out your triple beam!
    18'x43' Sport Pool
    19,000 Gallons Vinyl Liner 3'-3.5'-4'
    SWCG and D.E. Filter
    Test Kits - Pool Calculator - Chlorine/CYA Chart - Pool School

Secret Weapon for Pool Chemistry Testing