Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Please? Help replacing skimmer gaskets?

1. Back To Top    #1

Please? Help replacing skimmer gaskets?

I'm doing an upgrade to my little pool--putting in an appropriate-size pump, adding a solar heater, swapping some hard pipe for spa-flex so as to minimize a couple of awkward runs.

Here are my questions:

1. While the water level is below the skimmer and return, I intend to replace the gaskets, which are showing signs of leaking and replace the skimmer altogether. If I find rust, what's the best way to handle it?

2. Also would like advice on how to do the above, because the lining is already cut. Or am I supposed to replace the liner when I do this, too?

3. I have seen posts about spa-flex that don't speak very highly of it. Am I making a mistake here? Best advice, please. I do need it for at least the solar heater. And I'm trying to soften the corners of the pipe runs, because the 12' diameter is a tight circle in a small space.

4. Any other advice?

Thanks, everybody.
    12' round above ground pool. 3,500 gal. Vinyl liner. Waterway Supreme Hi-Flo 48 frame pump. 1.5 hp. SWG. Sand filter with Zeobrite.

Thanks, members of Trouble Free Pool, for being so friendly and informative!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Please? Help replacing skimmer gaskets?

Bumping this up in hopes of an answer. Thanks, guys.
    12' round above ground pool. 3,500 gal. Vinyl liner. Waterway Supreme Hi-Flo 48 frame pump. 1.5 hp. SWG. Sand filter with Zeobrite.

Thanks, members of Trouble Free Pool, for being so friendly and informative!

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Please? Help replacing skimmer gaskets?

1. Depends on how bad the rust is. Anything from brushing & painting to panel replacement.

2. While it would be better to replace the liner but if it doesn't need it, you can replace the skimmer & returns without replacing the liner.

I can't help with the flex as I've never used it.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit