Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Vacation and the BBB

1. Back To Top    #1

Vacation and the BBB

The family and I are going out of town for a week. And to top it all off....it is expected to rain all week next week Is there anything I can do to keep from coming home to a swamp
    30'x54" Round Vogue Simbio AG ~21,000 gallons
    Pentair Sand Dollar SD 60 w/ Pentair Dynamo 1.5 hp Pump
    Vinyl Uni-Bead 25mil Liner
    Perfect Bottom w/cove
    Taylor K-2005 & K-2006 Test Kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Vacation and the BBB

Do you have a dependable friend or neighbor who could come by and add bleach daily? Just have them add the average amount you usually put in.
    AG 18' X 52" Round Pacifica Pool w/ Metal Diamond Unibead Liner. Installed in March 2007.
    2.5 HP Baquapure 2 Speed Pump, 200 GPM Waterway ProClean Cartridge Filter System.

Former Baquacil user
    Converted to BBB in Fall of 2009 - Now I have a truly trouble free pool!

3. Back To Top    #3

I'm no expert but I'm guessing trichlor pucks won't hurt anything for just a few days.
    Mesa Arizona. Old school 26,000 gallon in ground plaster pool with sand filter built in 1984.

4. Back To Top    #4

... as long as your CYA isn't borderline or already over.
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!

5. Back To Top    #5

.... and your TA is not too low for trichlor.

You should be able to calculate how many tablets you will need to equal the typical amount of bleach, then use the Pool Calculator to see what that volume of trichlor adds in CYA levels.

In a week you will probably add 20 ppm, more or less. If you started out low that will be OK. If you are already high, well, it's a choice based on the numbers you expect. If it is raining, at least you can expect some overflow and loss of CYA that way.
    23,000 gallon in ground pool with rock waterfall and spillover spa, Aqualink control system, Polaris 380 cleaner, Purex Triton Clean&Clear Plus cartridge filter. Located in The Woodlands, Texas.

Pool owner since Nov 2008, Trouble Free since April 2009. Happy to help when I can.

6. Back To Top    #6

I left the country for a week and a half. I raised the water level, you won't need that if it rains where you live. Then I lowered pH to 7.2. Ran FC up to shock, put some trichlor pucks in a floater, and put a ratty solar cover on.

Everything was fine when I got home, aside from a lot of blue plastic crumbles from the cover disintegrating.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

7. Back To Top    #7

I think I will just have my neighbor come over and add a gal of bleach each day. Should I drop my pH to 7.2 also with all the rain coming....or supposed to be coming?
    30'x54" Round Vogue Simbio AG ~21,000 gallons
    Pentair Sand Dollar SD 60 w/ Pentair Dynamo 1.5 hp Pump
    Vinyl Uni-Bead 25mil Liner
    Perfect Bottom w/cove
    Taylor K-2005 & K-2006 Test Kit

8. Back To Top    #8

couldn't you just shock it? average burn of 2-3 ppm per day, gonna be gone for a week, couldn't you just shock it to 21ppm?
    15,000 gallon inground fiberglass pool with spa. 350lb Sand filter, 1.5 hp pump, and heater

9. Back To Top    #9

That wouldn't work because the chlorine loss is proportional to the FC level (all else, such as CYA, equal). It would be fine if one covered the pool with a mostly opaque cover to cut down chlorine loss, but with the sun one will lose significant FC, especially at shock level since more of the chlorine is unbound to CYA so breaks down faster.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

10. Back To Top    #10

In a week you will probably add 20 ppm, more or less. If you started out low that will be OK. If you are already high, well, it's a choice based on the numbers you expect. If it is raining, at least you can expect some overflow and loss of CYA that way.
    A week could add 20 ppm, more or less? Wow, at that rate, a month of trichlor would add just over 80ppm, just three months would add about 250ppm? Is that about right?
    40 x 16 (28k gallon) plaster pool, Intelliflo VF pump, Hayward 48 sq. ft. DE filter, using Purifiber, using BBB, TF-100 test kit

11. Back To Top    #11

It's probably more realistic to assume the daily chlorine usage at 2 ppm, though this depends a lot on actual conditions and CYA level. So one week would be 14 ppm FC and 8.5 ppm CYA. So generally not a problem. For one-week trips, pucks are great to use. It's when one is gone for longer periods of time where it's more of an issue, also because the pucks generally won't last for more than a week.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by chem geek
    It's probably more realistic to assume the daily chlorine usage at 2 ppm, though this depends a lot on actual conditions and CYA level. So one week would be 14 ppm FC and 8.5 ppm CYA. So generally not a problem. For one-week trips, pucks are great to use. It's when one is gone for longer periods of time where it's more of an issue, also because the pucks generally won't last for more than a week.
    Thanks for catching that, I was sloppy saying 20 ppm CYA in a week. 10 is what I actually see.

For a two week trip I do have someone come to refill the auto cholorinator with pucks, and to check the water level. Still need to clean the skimmers & Polaris every other day due to lots of trees.
    23,000 gallon in ground pool with rock waterfall and spillover spa, Aqualink control system, Polaris 380 cleaner, Purex Triton Clean&Clear Plus cartridge filter. Located in The Woodlands, Texas.

Pool owner since Nov 2008, Trouble Free since April 2009. Happy to help when I can.