Worried about level and sinking...

May 30, 2012
Boyd, Texas
I've spent the last week or so leveling, leveling, and leveling some more. I have a load of masonry sand coming this week to do the final layer but I can't stop worrying about the pool sinking on one side or being unlevel. I could have sworn I seen a thread around here that showed an above ground pool being successfully jacked back up and leveled while full...I know this isn't ideal in any way but I was just curious how many people have done this?

P.S. If anyone has a link to that thread I would appreciate it. (Tried searching, no luck)

photo.jpg

Photo just for reading my thread. :)

Jamison04 said:
I had to jack mine up and I posted about it just last week. http://www.troublefreepool.com/successfully-jacked-up-an-intex-summer-escapes-pool-t45938.html
I was mad too because we spent so much time using a transit/dumpy level to make sure the pool was going to be as level as possible and the dang thing still managed to settle on one side and sank more when it overflowed.

Yep I believe your thread was the one I read. I've done just about everything I can think of to compact it, from soaking with water and tamping, to having my neighbor drive his tractor over it. Real sandy soil that gives way with just someone walking on it. Starting to drive the girlfriend crazy, in her words "I think you are just freaking out over it"...guess i'll do what I can and keep the 20ton bottle jack ready to go. :p

Settling is always going to depend on underlying soil conditions more than anything else, so what holds true for someone in the southern or eastern US with lots of red clay underlying a thin layer of topsoil will be different from someone in a river flood plane with highly silty soil and low clay conetent, etc. Take a look at this link http://websoilsurvey.nrcs.usda.gov/app/HomePage.htm

Ike

I dug out our yard as it had a slight slope so all of our pavers were set into undisturbed soil. We also have very sandy soil here as well until you get down a couple of feet then its red clay. Thought I had learned from the previous Intex pool and used larger pavers this time but it still sank. :( All you can do is tamp tamp tamp an make sure it's compacted really well and hope for the best. :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.