Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Recessed area around plumbing pipes in gunite pool?

1. Back To Top    #1

Charleston, South Carolina

Recessed area around plumbing pipes in gunite pool?

What's the purpose of recessing the gunite around the plumbing pipes. I've had one contractor tell me they fill this void with hydraulic cement and then put a bead of 3M 5200 sealant around the pipe. Another pool company applies epoxy around the pipe (see pict), and another one told me they just fill that void with the pool finish. What's the proper way?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    half Inground/half above ground, shotcrete pool, 19,000 gallons - KrystalKrete Krystal Blue quartz finish
    Pentair intelliflo variable speed pump - Pentair Easy Touch automation - Pentair T100 sand filter - Savi Melody LED lights - Mortex KoolDeck - Charleston, South Carolina

2. Back To Top    #2
    Silver Spring, MD

Re: Recessed area around plumbing pipes in gunite pool?

The purpose is to achieve a water tight seal between the inside and the outside, without leaving any small voids along the side of the pipe that water could flow out of the pool through. There are many slightly different ways of doing that, all of which work.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School