Thread: FC burn rate?

1. Back To Top    #1

FC burn rate?

15000 gallon fiberglass michigan

calcium 200
    TA 80
    PH 7.5
    CYA 45

75 degrees 80% sun, what would be average ammount of FC loss by the sun for 1 day be?

water is crystal clear btw.
    15,000 gallon inground fiberglass pool with spa. 350lb Sand filter, 1.5 hp pump, and heater

2. Back To Top    #2
    SouthWest Alabama

Re: FC burn rate?

We usually try to get it down to about 2 ppm FC loss per day. Somewhere close to that is normal. With a CYA of 45 and in Mi you should be close to that.

If you're losing more than that, I'd suggest you run an OCLT to rule out organics eating it.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3
    Silver Spring, MD

It is only possible to give you a rough estimate, as every pool is somewhat different. I would expect you to lose 40% to 65% of your starting FC level each day.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4
    Grand Rapids, MI

Smooth, I'm in Michigan, and although this is my first season, I have recorded my FC each day: Generally lose between 1.5 and 2.5 per day when I'm running FC 4-6 range for 45 ppm CYA -- depending it seems, on swimmer load and sun...And whether or not one allows a guest with a dog, which will land you on the -2.5 ppm side

Most days, even the hottest ones like that scorcher Sunday of memorial weekend, I'm not using/losing more than 2 ppm, which is 33% of the 6 ppm at which I 'ride.' But I've also added 50 ppm borates, which buffers/reduces my chlorine load, and more importantly, makes water super silky feeling to swim in!
    In ground extended Grecian, 22,000 gal, Hayward 220t sand filter, vinyl liner, dolphin m4 supreme.
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!
    Helpful Links:
    GET A TEST KIT Chlorine/CYA Chart How to SLAM About Metals & Stains