Become a TFP Supporter Welcome to our new server and new forum software. If you have problems logging in to the new system, you should try resetting your password. Click HERE to do that. Pool School

Thread: CH and Fiberglass Slide

CH and Fiberglass Slide

It occurred to me as I was cleaning my slide the other day that while my CH level being low (50) won't effect my vinyl liner, it could be slowly damaging the fiberglass slide that I generally leave running 24/7.

Just turn off the slide, right? Well, I like to run the slide 24/7 so that it stays clean. With the chlorinated water running down, it doesn't develop the mildew (black freckles) stains it would otherwise. Sometimes I switch it from being a pool-system "return" to fresh water from the garden hose if I need to top off a little water, but generally it is fed from my pump.

Just being cautious as they are extremely pricey to replace or even re-coat. What do you think, should I bump up my CH to fiberglass pool recommended levels?

Thanks guys!
    20k gal, IG Vinyl, IntelliFlo VF Pump, 60 GPM sand filter, 2 skimmers, one main drain, two returns, Dolphin Diagnostic cleaning robot, Taylor K-2006 test kit

Re: CH and Fiberglass Slide

That's what I would do. while your vinyl liner won't care it certainly won't hurt anything either.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 1.5hp Dynamo pump. 24" Pentair Sand Dollar Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit
    You can stop SLAMing your pool when you pass the OCLT (You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & You have .5ppm CC's or less) & your water is clear.

Thanks, it is just another cost I guess. I wasn't sure if the slides have some sort of coating that would make them less susceptible to damage from low CH.
    20k gal, IG Vinyl, IntelliFlo VF Pump, 60 GPM sand filter, 2 skimmers, one main drain, two returns, Dolphin Diagnostic cleaning robot, Taylor K-2006 test kit

Senior Member In the Industry

I am not sure if it has ever been determined that low CH truly damages fiberglass. I have seen it discussed on here but I thought maybe the jury was still out. Did I miss something definitive?
    Dave S.
    Site Owner
    TFTestkits owner
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

I don't know if it's been decided 100% but in my mind if there's any doubt, it's not something that it hurts to add as long as you control it.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 1.5hp Dynamo pump. 24" Pentair Sand Dollar Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit
    You can stop SLAMing your pool when you pass the OCLT (You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & You have .5ppm CC's or less) & your water is clear.