Thoughts on AGP fences ?

gdog2004

Jul 19, 2011
Lehigh Valley, PA
Hi guys. I am really enjoying my AGP but would like to add a resin fence for safety and looks. Something like this.
http://www.poolsupplyworld.com/poolsupp ... 310500.htm
A couple questions:
24" or 36" --does it matter for vacuuming ?
On that topic...is it hard to vacuum with these fences ?

Are these hard to install ? Where is a good place to buy ?
Can you all still see your kids swimming ?
Do these hold up to heavy winds ?

Thats all for now. Thank you in advance for any replies.

These things are useless, if you ask me. But we're required to have them according to village code. :roll: We've already lost one end panel that snapped in a wind storm - good thing we're building our deck and will be able to take about half the fence down! They are really flimsy, in my opinion and do nothing to keep anything that really wants in the pool out. It makes vacuuming and putting any sort of cover - solar or closing) a huge pain. It's actually easier to take the entire fence down at the end of the season to close the pool. I definately wouldn't have gotten one if I didn't have to. It was, however, relatively easy to install.

coffeegoddss said:
These things are useless, if you ask me. But we're required to have them according to village code. :roll: We've already lost one end panel that snapped in a wind storm - good thing we're building our deck and will be able to take about half the fence down! They are really flimsy, in my opinion and do nothing to keep anything that really wants in the pool out. It makes vacuuming and putting any sort of cover - solar or closing) a huge pain. It's actually easier to take the entire fence down at the end of the season to close the pool. I definately wouldn't have gotten one if I didn't have to. It was, however, relatively easy to install.

Really ? That's a bummer. We really had our heart set on one---do they have nay that are sturdier than others ?

They're meant to keep people out of the pool but if anyone really wanted to get in, its not going to stop them. I would think there's sturdier ones out there but I haven't seen anything. Then again, I haven't really looked. A neighbor ended up digging post holes around their pool and just extending the railing of the deck all the way around - its really sturdy and looks awesome but was really, really expensive.

We looked into them when we installed our ABG. We decided against them as they were pricey for what they were and we were able to build a small deck with railing all the way around the pool. Makes walking around the pool for cleaning and solar cover nice... I couldn't manage the solar cover at all if we had the fencing you're looking at. Hubby helps me with it when he's home most of the time, but I can manage it by myself with the decking there.

I do wish we had made our decking a little larger to make it possible to roll up the cover at one end of the pool like a lot of people with oval pools do. Right now we have to roll it up while it's on the pool and lift it up to sit on the railing/fencing around the pool when we want to swim. Hind-sight is 20/20. Not sure it's worth the trouble to re-do it now.. too many other projects we'd like to do :lol: ... Like a cabana & greenhouse :cool: ... and an older part of our deck needs some board replaced :| .

Do look around at your options before you commit. If you're handy at all, it might benefit you to attempt to build it yourself. Ask some friends for help in exchange for swimming :idea:

We were going to put one of those fences on our pool but the insurance company said absolutely not. The fence had to keep people away from the pool to keep our rates low. The city requires a self closing self latching gate and the wall height cannot count as a barrier. In the end I'm so glad we didnt do a fence around the top. I can't imagine how I would maintain my pool (adding chemicals by walking around, vacuuming, removing solar cover).

My thought is, either get a real fence (what we did, cost us 3000 but is a nice barrier away from the pool, 54" height) or put a deck on. I wish we could have gotten a deck because it would take the strain off reaching over the pool wall for everything.

Just some thoughts, but I understand if money is tight and you need something, it may do for now.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.