Fighting with my CC.

May 26, 2012
Indianapolis, IN
Hi Guys,

Been trying to get my CC down from 1, and this morning it looks like I finally won! Here's what I got:

FC - 6
CC - .5
pH - 7.4
TA - 160
CH - 260

The FC is down from 10 (yesterday) so I'll probably add more 6% today to try and get it around 8ish for a couple more days. Is that the right thing to do?

Thanks!

Poolio317 said:
Hi Guys,

Been trying to get my CC down from 1, and this morning it looks like I finally won! Here's what I got:

FC - 6
CC - .5
pH - 7.4
TA - 160
CH - 260

The FC is down from 10 (yesterday) so I'll probably add more 6% today to try and get it around 8ish for a couple more days. Is that the right thing to do?

Thanks!
Yes, with one caveat: the minimum Fc is dependent on your CYA level.

linen said:
As Richard320 said, you need to know your cya level to know what your FC shock level should be. And that highlights another point, if you have measurable CCs, which is what you had, you need to do the shocking process. See: http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-school/shocking_your_pool Your are not finished until you pass all three criteria (in the article and in my sig).

CYA was 51/52 on the 31st, water is very clear..Haven't ever done OCLT test.

When measurable CC shows up, it is indicative of a something most likely organic in your pool. Any one of those 3 criteria are reasons to do the shocking process. I would suggest doing an OCLT tonight to determine if there is something consuming your chlorine that shouldn't be.

linen said:
When measurable CC shows up, it is indicative of a something most likely organic in your pool. Any one of those 3 criteria are reasons to do the shocking process. I would suggest doing an OCLT tonight to determine if there is something consuming your chlorine that shouldn't be.

Sounds good, I'll perform this test tonight. I've never "shut off" my chlorinator. I'm assuming I'll just turn the knob all the way to zero or the lowest setting.

Will post results of OCLT tomorrow a.m.

Thanks!

What is your current cya (cyanuric acid) level?

Most likely that chlorinator uses trichlor pucks. That method of chlorination adds cya to the water. If your cya is high, then you would need a higher level FC (free chlorine) to maintain your pool.

linen said:
What is your current cya (cyanuric acid) level?

Most likely that chlorinator uses trichlor pucks. That method of chlorination adds cya to the water. If your cya is high, then you would need a higher level FC (free chlorine) to maintain your pool.

Didnt test CYA this morning but was 51/52 on the 31st. I'm running low on R-0013.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Poolio317 said:
Didnt test CYA this morning but was 51/52 on the 31st. I'm running low on R-0013.
Sorry, I forgot that you had already included this information :oops:

Our reccomended cya level is 30-50 (with 50 usually being the best) for a non-swg pool. Since you are at 50, you are about perfect, and I would not use the chlorinator anymore. If you do, you will likely have to do a drain/refill in the near future. Bleach/liquid chlorine are going to be your best choice for chlorination now.

linen said:
Poolio317 said:
Sorry, I forgot that you had already included this information :oops:

Our reccomended cya level is 30-50 (with 50 usually being the best) for a non-swg pool. Since you are at 50, you are about perfect, and I would not use the chlorinator anymore. If you do, you will likely have to do a drain/refill in the near future. Bleach/liquid chlorine are going to be your best choice for chlorination now.

Linen,

Just checked and there's only a flake of a chlorine tab left in the chlorinator, and I'm not going to refill it. I'll officially begin liquid sanitizing with 6% now instead of tabs.

Since I haven't ever done a OCLT, I'm torn between getting the pool to full shock level (which is 20ppm) today, or waiting and doing the OCLT tonite, then shocking tomorrow.

Thanks for all of your help!

Poolio317 said:
Since I haven't ever done a OCLT, I'm torn between getting the pool to full shock level (which is 20ppm) today, or waiting and doing the OCLT tonite, then shocking tomorrow.
I am arguing with myself on this one...Since you had measurable CC my first instinct is to bring it to shock level for tonight's OCLT since it is likely your are fighting something...But...since the water is clear, and you latest CC test is less than 0.5 ppm, an alternative is to just bring it up to the upper end of your operating range (8 ppm FC for 50 ppm cya per pool calculator) and see how the OCLT goes. Either way works.

What does bother me just a little is if you have any trichlor left in that feeder that can get in the pool overnight, it most likely will throw your OCLT test results off. Each full trichlor pucks adds about 2.2 ppm FC to your 25000 gallon pool.

Update:

So unless I did the last CYA test wrong on 5/31 (which read 52) my CYA was 99 this morning..

I didn't do a true OCLT yesterday, but readings went from FC -6, CC - .5, to FC -3, CC -1..by this morning. Just to double check this mornings CYA reading of 99, I took a sample to the pool store which confirmed my reading.

with a CYA of 99, and me obviously losing FC overnight, I added 15 gallons of 6% just now and followed the shock procedure to get FC to 39.. Water is crystal clear, but obviously something is eating my chlorine.

Spent $30 on 6% at Walmart to shock today :(

How soon should after adding all that bleach should I test again to make sure FC got to shock level? Should I just wait to test till this evening and do a OCLT based off the difference between the FC reading tonite and the FC reading tomorrow a.m.?

I'm happy the water is so clear, but obviously something is off somewhere!

EDIT: Also based on pressure I'm nearly due to backwash, so hopefully that'll help lower the CYA to normal range too. Going to give it a few days before backwashing tho.

Thanks!!

Poolio317 said:
How soon should after adding all that bleach should I test again to make sure FC got to shock level? Should I just wait to test till this evening and do a OCLT based off the difference between the FC reading tonite and the FC reading tomorrow a.m.?
Brush it good, and recheck it in an hour, then replenish the chlorine to keep it at shock level. It's the relentless superchlorination that kills the algae faster than it can reproduce. The more frequently you check and replenish, the faster this will go.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.