Geez, it's frustrating! I went through the whole shocking process for almost the last month - and this included an eventual partial drain and refill to adjust CYA. Finally passed my OCLT, no CCs, the water was rainbow sparkly. YAY! We're ready! As soon as the levels dropped out of shock range, we let the kids swim yesterday. They swam for an hour or so. Just because I'm a worrywort, I kept an eye on the levels...just in case... Just to be sure, I raised it to shock level shortly after they declared the water too cold.
Woke up this morning to an OCL of 3.5 (no cc's): 17 at sundown last night and 13.5 this AM, and twice as much brown stuff sitting on the bottom. I'm starting to wonder if I don't have mustard algae that simply isn't following the rules of growing on the shady side bottom and walls. This stuff is strictly on the bottom and disappates when you disturb it - although I did notice brushing it this morning that it's being a little more stubborn in some spots to dislodge.
*sigh* So I guess I start the shocking process all over. There is some dispute over our CYA reading...I say the dot disappeared closer to just under 50, my husband says it read closer to 40. His eye sight is better than mine but, this time, I'm erring on the side of caution and going with the 50 reading for this particular shocking. Then, if I read it right, once I pass, I have to bring the shock level up even higher for 24 hours and scrub the *@!$ out of everything? Right?
Another new development? Our filter housing has started making a rattling sound every now and then. It sounds like something is loose and vibrating when the pump is running. It was never bolted down to anything (we store it inside for the winter) and a quick shove over seems to balance out whatever it is and it stops...I guess until the running pump vibrates it over again.
*breathe breathe* I just want to be able to let my kids swim!!! Hopefully, this does it.