Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Do sand filters need to be replaced?

1. Back To Top    #1

Do sand filters need to be replaced?

I have a "Baker" sand filter; IIRC it is 24" in diameter and has a Hayward 6 position side mounted multi-port valve. I have noticed that when the pressure builds a bit in the filter, the lower pipe entering the filter from the multi-port is leaking. I was going to unscrew the fitting and replace the teflon tape but I noticed the fitting looks for a lack of a better description --sun damaged.

What will my options be if the fitting falls apart when trying to unscrew it? Replace the multi-port only? Or since the filter is at least 20 years old and could be older should I replace it too?

on edit, don't know if it matters but I replaced the pump and motor 2 years ago with a 1hp Hayward super-pump, 1-1/2" diameter plumbing.
    20 x 40 Vinyl, w/ Pentair 1 hp pump & Hayward 24" top mount filter

2. Back To Top    #2
    Silver Spring, MD

Re: Do sand filters need to be replaced?

There is no one answer. Everything can be fixed with a little work, but eventually it is worth replacing the whole thing. Where you fall on that range is difficult to predict.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Follow-up questions,

Is one brand of filter better than another and where is the cheapest place to purchase? Just looked at Leslie's on-line; sand filters start at $450---ouch
    For now, I'm going to make the current filter work but when it comes to replacing the filter, should I go back with sand? Are one of the other types of filters better and why?

I was looking at muntiport valves on-line yesterday and it looked like the same type of 6-position valve ranged in price from $112 to $289.
    20 x 40 Vinyl, w/ Pentair 1 hp pump & Hayward 24" top mount filter

4. Back To Top    #4
    SW Indiana

With your pump at 1.5HP, you need to look at a larger filter. A 24" filter is about maxed out with a 1HP pump. Hayward doesn't package a 1.5HP pump with a sand filter smaller than 31 inches.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

5. Back To Top    #5

Dallas, TX

You'll get different answers on which type of filter is best, but there's nothing easier than a sand filter, and they work.
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!