Help with weird leaking water issue

May 9, 2012
My husband and I kind of inherited this home last yr after we lost our home on April 27th, 2011 to the tornadoes. It was my sister old home and we now live here.

I have a problem that is cause me an issue.. I use the bbb method and did yrs ago when I owned a pool before...(although my sister and her hubby disagree with EVERYTHING...they have been pool schooled) Anyway, when I run the hayward sand filter, one cycle, on filter...I am losing 1 and 1/2 inches to 2 inches a day. It is a 30,000 vinyl lined IG pool. I checked at the pump, no water lost or no water visible. it is a new liner, only 2 yrs old, do I don't think it is there. But I checked the back wash area that is 15 to 20 ft away from the house and it looks like a swamp there, remember filter is on FILTER not backwash. So my brother in law calls and tells me that the O ring is not needed, he order a plastic piece in its place that last 10 yrs...not such what this is... and that he ran the filter on recirculate ALL the time so he didn't lose water. When I questioned him on how he CLEANED the pool if he NEVER filtered it, he said that is what I did. I have backwashed and backwashed, rinsed and rinsed, and still not getting anywhere. I am still losing 2 inches a day of water. I did move it over to recirculate today to see if the water lose is the same...not sure yet.

Any ideas? I don't have alot of money to spend right now.

Take apart the multiport valve and check the condition of the "wagon wheel" or "spider" gasket. My bet is it's damaged and that's a fairly easy fix if you do your homework and are reasonably handy.

My brother in law swears he special oordered some plastic piece when he put in the new pump 3 yrs ago....that replaced the gasket so it wounldnt have to be replaced for 10 yrs...does this sound right ? it didn't. to me

As Duraleigh said, it sounds like the spyder gasket in the multiport valve. Without a good view of the discharge/backwash pipe, it might be difficult to see water leaking out when the setting is on filter.

It might help if you give some model numbers, and pictures (we love pictures). Without more information, it is difficult to comment on the gasket.

There are many threads on the subject (google at bottom left of this page) and several youtube videos on changing them. I used silicon lube as a temp fix on mine, a new gasket was about $10 at the local store.

Ok nite time pic are never good but here are the pump sec. See my first thought would have been what you said but when I ask my brother in law he keep repeating that he fixed that issue with some special order plastic piece that didn't need replaced for 10 yrs..what the neck is he talking about.

Let's try this again...
Take apart the multiport valve and check the condition of the "wagon wheel" or "spider" gasket. My bet is it's damaged and that's a fairly easy fix if you do your homework and are reasonably handy
I have no idea what your brother in law is talking about

He put in a plastic piece that fixed the problem but then he had to run the filter on recirc so he didn't lose water. Doesn't sound like he fixed the problem after all. If he had, he could have run it on filter and not lost water. Don't listen to him. Replace the spider gasket and that should fix your problem. On some filters the spider gasket is molded into the valve diverter body and has to be bought as a single piece, so that could be what he's talking about. Regardless the spider gasket is most likely what will fix your issue.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Not sure he did it himself. They had the liner replaced 3 yrs ago and got a new hayward pro s210t at the same time, so I almost positive some else did it. My sister called today and told me she always lost water in filter mode therefore she always ran it in recicurlate mode..which to me meant the pool never got cleaned. Thank for y'all help.

msumoose said:
I posted a how to on a gasket...look it up. Where are you located? I lost my roof in that storm, if you need further help, let me know!

Thank you...I did some looking and I think what he meant was that he had them an all in one top piece. So now to find the cheapest place to buy that?

We are in Oxford, Alabama. But we were in Trenton, GA. right outside Chattanogga, TN. Our home was hit by 4 tornados that day. The first 2 dropped a couple hundred tree a piece and 2 thru the roof and the 3 one took our 5000 sq ft home with us in it. NOT A FUN EXPERIENCE AT ALL! By time the 4th hit we were already at the hospital. The 4th was the F4 that came thru us then went on the take out Ringold, GA that most people saw on the news. We lost everything and got screwed by the

When you said Oxford, I thought Mississippi, I am about 20 minutes from there. Sorry about the insurance, we got a dose of that with Katrina, and our roof this time. You are not alone.

Anywho, that is about a 20 minute job. Look at Amazon and see if you can find the part

My sister lives in Oxford, Al. :)

The valve you have is the SP0714T. It has the Key Seal Assembly with the molded in gasket. You'll need to buy the assembly (SPX0714CA). I'd go ahead and get the o-ring shaft seal (0-418) and the spring washer (SPX0710Z62) too.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.