Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: leaky pvc pipe

1. Back To Top    #1

leaky pvc pipe

After I opened the pool I noticed water all over the floor. I checked he pump but there was so much condensation I couldn't find the leak and was trying to clean the pool anyway as it was a swamp. Well I ran the filter for about 5 days straight and there was so much water. Then I shut it off and ran about 8 hours a day. The condensation dried up and we think we found the leak in two PVC pipe joints. We shut it off and its been 24 hours. Our pump and filter are above water level. Please help us fix this. Thanks!
    Mom to two wonderful children, Navy wife and owned by a boxer.

24,000 gallon, in-ground pool with Sand Filter. Size of filter is unknown. Vinyl liner.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: leaky pvc pipe

Post a pic of where you think the leak is and someone will be able to help you.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

24,000 gallon, in-ground pool with Sand Filter. Size of filter is unknown. Vinyl liner.

4. Back To Top    #4

Where specifically is it leaking? Those are unions. Open them up and check the condition of the o-ring inside. They just hand screw together but you may need a strap wrench to unscrew them.

Posted with Tapatalk ... sorry if I sound short ... hate typing on phone
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

Do I need to shut off valves or anything before opening them?

6. Back To Top    #6

Since you have an inground pool you shouldn't have to close any valves. Those pipes look slightly out of alignment so they may be rather tight. Of course it might be just the photos.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump

7. Back To Top    #7

I think they are a little out of alignment...what do I do to fix that?

8. Back To Top    #8

Replumbing is the only right fix but as long as they make up and seal I don't know that I'd go to that much trouble.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator

9. Back To Top    #9

Ok changed the O-rings and it didn't leak there. But there are two spots right by it that are leaking at the joints that are cemented. You can see the purple cement by it. So some sort of epoxy is out of the question? Can I just recement it?

10. Back To Top    #10

anyone??

11. Back To Top    #11

I was wrong, sort of...leak elsewhere

Ok...I replaced the O-rings on the pvc and they are fine. But there is moisture around the elbow joints, with maybe the occasional drip. But the real problem is the plug on the hair strainer that goes to the pump. There were 2 plugs and I put them both in and finger tightened them as tight as they would go. Well it appears that the one on the side is the one thats leaking. At an increasingly alarming rate. First if I unscrew it (with pump not running) I'm assuming water isn't going to shoot everywhere, right? Second, how do I know if the plug is still good or not? Should I use pliers to tighten it? Please help!!!

Oh and about the moisture at the elbow...epoxy?

12. Back To Top    #12

Repairs on the outside of PVC joints are not very effective. Better off cutting it out and starting over I think.

Posted with Tapatalk ... sorry if I sound short ... hate typing on phone
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

13. Back To Top    #13

Re: I was wrong, sort of...leak elsewhere

Tighten the plugs with a wrench or pliers. You can try epoxy but you're most likely going to have to replumb.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator

14. Back To Top    #14

oh boy....replumb. how bad can I screw this up. lol ok thanks guys.

15. Back To Top    #15

PVC is easy to work with. You just need a hacksaw, fittings and some PVC glue. I tend to use primer as well, just to make sure that the joints are strong. The inlet to the pump is definitely off. You could probably reposition the pump to account for the angle apparent in the photos. It would probably be best to replace one side of the union if you can find a union that will join up properly. You need clean PVC pipe to make a good connection with the fittings, and maybe some additional 2" PVC (I'm guessing that's what it is). That being said, a leak on the suction side shouldn't leak while the pump is on. Instead, the suction would lead to air in the pump basket and if the leak were really bad, your pump would be unable to prime.

I'm not following you on the "plugs" you are describing. Are these at the bottom of pump to let water out (e.g for winterizing)? If so, it may be necessary to buy some new o-rings. Have you tried lubing them up with silicone grease?
    38K in ground pool with attached spa. Current equipment: Easytouch 8 (521150) with IC-60 SWCG with web control by Autelis, 1x Pentair IntelliFlo 011018 pump (for filter), 1x Pentair 2HP WhisperFlo pump (for waterfall), 2X Pentair IntelliBrite 5G 12V lights, Pentair MiniMax400 NG Heater, Pentair SMBW2060 DE filter. Zodiac Barracuda MX8 cleaner on dedicated cleaner line. Lighting/home automation controlled by Insteon/ISY-99i.