Dolphin Premier

I'm in south florida. It seems to me, correct me if I'm wrong, but the dolphin premier and dx6 are similar in that they only have the two brushes not the third additional brush, but the dx6 is dual motor so it can turn better. So what is better about the premier aside from cartridge coming with it and not an upgrade?

Then you have the m4 and m5 with the extra brush, does that really do too much? Do any besides the premier have a warranty if bought online?

And does the swivel cord work well enough that its useful?

I don't remember about the third brush off hand but imagine the DX 6 doesn't since it's a bottom loader. Which is oppsite the M5. That is one of their big selling points on the M5, top loading. However, this precludes it having a bag option, and that is why I chose the DX-6. I'll have some leaves, and wanted to have the bag option for that.

The M5 also has the pro remote as does the DX6. I hear that the swivel leaves much to be desired and tangled cords seem part of the package dealing with Robot cleaners of all kinds.

Can someone tell me if the dx4, dx6, edge supreme,premier are smart enough to reverse themselves if they get stuck? That's a deal breaker in my pool if they can't. I know the blue diamond does,but I really wanta dolphin since replacement motors are cheap. Looking at dx4 heavily now as it seems they are a good value and finding a supreme near me is impossible. I hear they discontinued too according to epic. They say the new one they are getting is not third brushed,but is top loading.

Yea, I found out the same thing when I first began looking. At that time, they didn't know what the new model would be like, but likened it to the M5. Can't answer in the backing up, but I know someone here does.

The cord swivel on my M5 seems to work well, both during operation and also helps during storage of the cord. What I mean by that is that there is a definite "memory loop" to the power cable, when re-racking the cable it seems to go easier as a result of the cord swivel.....I can keep looping the cable in a neat direction.....

Now that I read what I've posted I don't know if that makes any sense at all, but....yeah, I think the swivel works well.

I can't give you an opinion on the 3rd brush as this is my first robot, but I do know this thing has done a fantastic job of cleaning my pool so far.....

As far as backing up, that seems to be part of the regular function on my M5....it travels in both directions as part of the cleaning process.....it will make a straight pass from side to side of the pool, return to somewhere in the center, and then turn 90 degrees......lather, rinse, repeat!

I don't believe it's actually "sensing" that it might be stuck, merely just reversing direction as part of the program after a few moments....

The M5 is also a dual motor unit....

I technically bought mine on-line and the provider tells me that they fully warrant the product regardless.

danjaymor said:
As far as backing up, that seems to be part of the regular function on my M5....it travels in both directions as part of the cleaning process.....it will make a straight pass from side to side of the pool, return to somewhere in the center, and then turn 90 degrees......lather, rinse, repeat!

I don't believe it's actually "sensing" that it might be stuck, merely just reversing direction as part of the program after a few moments....

I technically bought mine on-line and the provider tells me that they fully warrant the product regardless.

Yea, thats my worry that it will get stuck and then try to go in the same direction for the next 5 minutes until it decides to turn around.

I have had a Premier for about 3-4 months....here has been my impression.

Probably the best robot I have used for ease of cleaning. (I had Blue Diamond Remote, Dolphin HD, Polararis 9300xi) I use the oversize debris bag almost exclusively and it is well made. The pleated filters are equally well made, but my pool is so dirty that I normally just keep the debris bag in it. I can tell very little difference in the water clarity regardless

I do not have the remote so I cannot take it out of wall climbing mode unless I purchase the remote and the wall climbing mode is where it gets in some trouble.

First of all, it has yet to get hung up and not be able to extricate itself but my long 45 degree angled steps throw it a curve.

It actually climbs the steps (that's bad) but when it gets to the top, it is not in water deep enough to reverse it so it thinks it is at the vertical waterline and will continue to stay on that top step pretty much flailing around for about a minute. Then, it finish the water line cycle and reverses, falling pretty clumsily down the steps but eventually regaining it floor cleaning ability and off it goes.

I think if I get the remote and turn off the wall climbing feature it will perform better on the steps.

Despite what they tell you, every robot I have used is a total idiot. Do not think it is "measuring" your pool when it stops and makes a seemingly unrelated turn.....I think it's totally random.

At least once or twice during the 2 hour cleaning cycle, my Premier will make a 270 degree turn in the middle of the pool!

Will I get another one? Probably, since none of the other cleaners could negotiate my steps without permanent hang ups. This one does......it's pretty pathetic to watch it fight it's way back to the pool floor but it does it every time. It's the first robot I've had that I feel I can leave totally unattended for the 2 hour cycle.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
interesting, so you like it better than the blue diamond remote? For what reasons?

So am I to assume that the DX4, DX6, Premier, supreme all pretty much use the same cleaning system? They turn on the floor of the pool and can back their way out of trouble? I had a dolphin before the blue diamond remote and it wouldn't turn on the floor, had to use the walls and I sold it for that reason.

duraleigh said:
I have had a Premier for about 3-4 months....here has been my impression.

Probably the best robot I have used for ease of cleaning. (I had Blue Diamond Remote, Dolphin HD, Polararis 9300xi) I use the oversize debris bag almost exclusively and it is well made. The pleated filters are equally well made, but my pool is so dirty that I normally just keep the debris bag in it. I can tell very little difference in the water clarity regardless

I do not have the remote so I cannot take it out of wall climbing mode unless I purchase the remote and the wall climbing mode is where it gets in some trouble.

First of all, it has yet to get hung up and not be able to extricate itself but my long 45 degree angled steps throw it a curve.

It actually climbs the steps (that's bad) but when it gets to the top, it is not in water deep enough to reverse it so it thinks it is at the vertical waterline and will continue to stay on that top step pretty much flailing around for about a minute. Then, it finish the water line cycle and reverses, falling pretty clumsily down the steps but eventually regaining it floor cleaning ability and off it goes.

I think if I get the remote and turn off the wall climbing feature it will perform better on the steps.

Despite what they tell you, every robot I have used is a total idiot. Do not think it is "measuring" your pool when it stops and makes a seemingly unrelated turn.....I think it's totally random.

At least once or twice during the 2 hour cleaning cycle, my Premier will make a 270 degree turn in the middle of the pool!

Will I get another one? Probably, since none of the other cleaners could negotiate my steps without permanent hang ups. This one does......it's pretty pathetic to watch it fight it's way back to the pool floor but it does it every time. It's the first robot I've had that I feel I can leave totally unattended for the 2 hour cycle.

robl45 said:
danjaymor said:

Yea, thats my worry that it will get stuck and then try to go in the same direction for the next 5 minutes until it decides to turn around.

Hi, Rob.....it does not travel in any specific direction for more than 20-30 seconds......it would not be stuck for 5 minutes or anything......it would be stuck momentarily and then either attempt to reverse direction or attempt to rotate and then reverse direction. I've got a slightly odd shaped pool and have not had any "stuck" situations......

Even on a wall climbing pass I estimate that it is no more than a 30 second "climb". The treads keep trying to climb the wall but at the waterline it loses buoyancy and cannot climb any higher......this is when it does it "scrub the waterline" dance......I haven't used a stopwatch but it's definitely less than a minute.......when it finishes its effort on the waterline it then reverses direction and either proceeds to the opposite wall or stops approximately 1/2 way across the pool bottom, rotates about 90 degrees, and proceeds.....

Just passing along my experience with the Dolphin Premier. I have owned an Aquabot Elite RC (it seemed to be exclusive to a local store here in TX), and it is a piece of junk. It's already had the motor changed in it, only has the bag option, and I have to go pick it up from the shop (one of these days) and pay some maintenance fee of seventy-something bucks. It was supposed-to have a 3 year warranty, but they aren't honoring it due to Leslie's Pool Supply buying this company out. If I went the manufacturer route, which I did the first time, I would risk having my cleaner gone for 3-4 months... just like last time. Lesson learned for me. Always have a back-up plan. That's why I bought the Dolphin. I plan on replacing the Aquabot with one of them newer Polaris' later on, as well... but I digress.

I've only had the Dolphin Premier for a few weeks. It dances circles around the Aquabot. It doesn't use belts, it hits the rim of the pool with no problems, and the RC is actually usable (though, I still don't use it). It also came with 3 different filter systems: cartridge type (for fine particulates), screen (for standard clean-up), and a bag. Even though extraction is from the bottom, it has a latch system that makes it superior to the Aquabot as well. It just slides right in there. No fuss. The Aquabot took some finagling to get back in there.

Time will tell for sure, but I'm pretty happy with this unit. This is the review that led me to it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rOZMebaXztA

Just adding my .02 for those searching around as I did.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.