Dolphin Premier

I have been considering an m5. I see the Dolphin site says max 40 ft. My pool is 46 ft. Is that an issue? Do you need to plug this in to a 120 GFCI outlet? i assume the transformer is at the outlet end of the cord, so only low voltage is along the cable and in the pool, correct? I was going to use a Polaris 360 (no booster needed) off a Intellifo VF running at about 30 gpm. Is the m5 worth the extra cost and will it clean better?

So I am thinking about getting either the M4 or M5. Can anybody comment on repair issues? For the money, these things better be pretty bullet proof...

I have been manually vacuuming for the last 4 yrs because I got sick of fixing the suction based cleaner (Hayward navigator or something like that).

jtech1 said:
I have been considering an m5. I see the Dolphin site says max 40 ft. My pool is 46 ft. Is that an issue? Do you need to plug this in to a 120 GFCI outlet? i assume the transformer is at the outlet end of the cord, so only low voltage is along the cable and in the pool, correct? I was going to use a Polaris 360 (no booster needed) off a Intellifo VF running at about 30 gpm. Is the m5 worth the extra cost and will it clean better?

I recently bought an M4 for a 40ft pool and am very happy with it. I plug it into a standard outlet. It usually looks spotless after it is done. My one complaint is its reposonse to the remote is not very accurate as it is hard to get it to go exactly where you want. I have heard the M5's remote is much better so that probably won't be an issue for you.

So, will the M5 work with a 47 ft pool? How long is the cord? Does it have to plug in in the middle of the pool? If outlet is at middle but 15 feet from water will it work?

I have a 50ft pool and the M5 is working great. The cord is about 60ft - with coiling it is just right for 50ft. Because of my outlet location, I have it very close to one end of the pool. They say not to use an extension cord, but the cord provided to plug into the wall is only about 6ft - my nearest outlet it over 20ft from the edge of the pool.

I have had a Premier for about a month now. Overall I would rate it "fair", a disappointment considering the price. It has trouble on my pool at the waterline, tending to "fall backward" due to the bullnose coping which protrudes about 1-2 inches as it meets the flat surface of the coping. Sometimes it can recover itself, but other times it floats helplessly until it reaches bottom, and then it is out of synch with its pathways, and frequently goes back to already cleaned areas. When it does stay at the waterline it tends not to creep along, staying in a 1-2 foot area at most before reversing. (I demo'd an Aquabot unit that did fine on my bullnose coping). It also does NOT do right angle turns to cover the pool as in Maytronics' demo on their site. That being said, it does seem to eventually clean 98% of my freeform pool, approx 20 X 40. This leads to the other problem, the remote. The unit starts and stops so aburptly in manual mode that it CAN'T be controlled for spot cleaning unless you get lucky. However, if you don't have the remote, you can't access the "quick clean" cycle at all... I also returned the first unit I got because that unit tended to follow circular paths (one side wouldn't seat on the pool floor and the result was lazy turns most of the time). The second unit does not seem to do this with any severity. Instructions are abysmal and an embarassment for a "top of the line" unit. Phone support from Maytronics was good with attempts to problem solve, etc. Leaf bag requires attachment of a screen to prevent the bag from impeding the impeller on top; NO instruction on its need or how to install. I would recommend paying a few hundred more and getting the M5 which seems to be a superior unit as described by all of you.

After reading all the great reviews on the M4 & M5 I decided to visit Epic Pool Supply to buy the M5 after researching robotic cleaners for over a year. Their web site says you can no longer purchase it on-line and have to visit their store in Idaho. Ugh, I live in Ohio. Does anyone know of any other on-line retailer that sells the M5, or has Maytronics come out with a better replacement for the M5? I only found one on Amazon for $1,650.

Maybe Ebay?

bjsbuds said:
After reading all the great reviews on the M4 & M5 I decided to visit Epic Pool Supply to buy the M5 after researching robotic cleaners for over a year. Their web site says you can no longer purchase it on-line and have to visit their store in Idaho. Ugh, I live in Ohio. Does anyone know of any other on-line retailer that sells the M5, or has Maytronics come out with a better replacement for the M5? I only found one on Amazon for $1,650.

I have the M5 and love it. I looked on Epic's site and they mention a new Dolphin called an X5 - I know nothing about this, but I would give them a call and discuss it. Epic says they can sell that one over the internet. I called them about the M5 when I bought it and they were very helpful. The one thing I will comment on the M5 is that the filters do clog quickly unless your pool is very clean. A few leaves can really plug it up. It really vacuums it clean though and saves your pump and filter.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I am also trying to decide on which Dolphin model to purchase. We have an in-ground pool about 25,000 gallons, which is vinyl lined. Someone compared this purchase to trying to buy a mattress and they are spot on! There are so many different private label models, your head starts to spin. Trying to decide upon the M4 or the M5. There is quite a price difference and trying to see if I need to go with the M5. We do not have stairs, so that isn't an issue. Any suggestions?

cam59 said:
I am also trying to decide on which Dolphin model to purchase. We have an in-ground pool about 25,000 gallons, which is vinyl lined. Someone compared this purchase to trying to buy a mattress and they are spot on! There are so many different private label models, your head starts to spin. Trying to decide upon the M4 or the M5. There is quite a price difference and trying to see if I need to go with the M5. We do not have stairs, so that isn't an issue. Any suggestions?

I too was trying to decide between the M4 or M5. If price isn't an issue I would go with the M5. A fellow forum member and pool builder told me he felt the M4 was just fine. In my case the M5 was $400 difference in price. Once you deduct the rebates available the difference is down to $350. Then if you decide to add a remote to the M4, the difference is down to just over $250. So, I think you need to decide if having the dual motors and split rollers if worth the extra dollars.

For me, I am thinking one less motor and fewer rollers might mean less to break. But, that is just my opinion. I too have been agonizing over this decision because I usually tend to want to buy the best.

I went to a local pool company that sells the Dolphin Supreme this weekend. They said they have been selling the M4 for two seasons and just started selling the M5 this season, and that they have not have one come back for service. I thought that was positive.

I plan to buy one today. Right now its the M4....a few hours from now it may be the M5. Let us know what you decide.

Well, I just purchased the M5. We have it in the pool now and it does seem to be performing well. It came with a $150 rebate, so the pice difference was not as great. Also, the remote and dual motors were the deciding features. Good luck on your purchase!

Hi guys. Just wanted to share that I joined the club today in the purchase of an M4 from a local pool dealer who I like. She LENT it to me for a week to try out and evaluate on my pool -- can't really beat that in terms of service.

At first, the M4 didn't seem to "understand" my very narrow shallow end -- it seemed to be much more interested in my deep end. But my fears that it would not climb to the water line or handle the sharp creases/edges of my grecian-style and 9' deep end were completely unfounded -- it really went to town.

Once I started experimenting with different drop-in positions and handle/float angles, I started getting improved coverage. By the end of the week trial, I was pretty convinced I didn't want to live without it ;) (So my pool gal is, as my husband says, an "evil genius.")

I decided I could live without the "double trouble" of the M5 split/dual motors and hope I don't regret that decision, but the price point on the M4 seemed to offer solid value for my needs.

I have not spent that much time watching it work (minutes not hours), but I have not seen it on my steps or beach area. It does climb the walls - it is bigger than most of my steps, so it would probably tip off. Overall, though, it seems easy enough to clean the steps yourself - I do a little kicking with my feet to blow them off. I also use a brush to clean out the tip of the corners to help it out (my corners are not well rounded). The M5 does a great job for me. For those of you going back and forth over the remote issue - I have never used it and probably won't. I like to drop it in the pool and come back in 2-3 hrs. If I wanted to stand there watching it work, I would go back to hand vacuuming the pool.

Re: steps on mine, it will clean the two bottom steps, but not the two top -- no biggie, as easy to brush them.

Re: water line on shallow end of pool -- every pool configuration is different but you might find it climbs better if you adjust the floats outward and use the most extreme angle setting. It has no trouble in my shallow end.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.