Dolphin Premier

Thanks Tony, after looking more closely based on features you pointed out I now believe the M4/M5 are better choices and the price is almost the same. If only the M5 had the weekly timer features of the M4!! :cry: Question... the M4 weekly timer implies you are leaving the cleaner in the pool and the power supply needs to be protected from water.... isn't that taking a risk the power cable won't get tangled up and/or run over??
Have you had any experience with the DX6?

acaciolo:

What is SCP? I saw the Premier only at Poolexpress.com. That is the only place that lists it. In addition, the Premier appears to have everything that the M5 has, but it doesnt have split brushes, and may lack the extra 3rd cleaning brush. I don't know. I guess it is safer to go with the M4 or M5. However, the Premier is about $300 less expensive.

Also, ,y research on the Premier suggests that it has an option for a "large oversized media bag" which is an additional accessory, allowing you to also use it to pick up large amounts of leaves when you open or close the pool. Do the M4 or M5 have this option too? I do not see it in their descriptions.

ARRGHHH!!!!

Thanks for the info!!

dmrap... check out epicpoolsupply... the M5 is basically a wash in price with the Premier from poolsexpress once you add in the remote, caddy & oversized bag. The M5 from epicpool includes the remote, "should" include the caddy(according to Maytronics site but I have to check) and offers 3 filter options(also have to check if that is extra). Plus I think epicpools may have free shipping... With all those options the Premier cost $40 for shipping.

I see that now! Thanks! I'm still on the fence as to the M5 or the Premier. However, check out Westwoodpools.com which shows a $150 rebate on the M5 and $100 on the M4. Says they these rebates "started" on April 1, 2012. I haven't called though to see if it's still offerred/valid.

dmrap, just got off the phone with epicpools.. on the M5 their price includes the remote, caddy & 3 filter options. Free shipping and no tax if you live in a different state. This was cheaper for me than buying the Premier so I ordered it. Good luck with your choice.
I saw the rebates also on Westwood... but a local dealer out here also had the rebates so I am assuming it is for all dealers... forgot to ask epicpools about that... thanks.

Just looked at Westwoods... they cost a lot more than at epic.

I went with the M4 over the Premier b/c only one website was authorized to the sell the premier while my local pool store sold the M4 so I felt it was safer if there was a problem. The M4 does not have the oversized bag, just a spring cartridge for heaver pick-up and summer for finer dirt pick-up. My pool was an absolute disaster when I opened it b/c the preivous owner didn't do a great job closing the pool. There were a ton of leaves and I got what I could with the net before dropping in the M4. The M4 is not designed to pick up a lot of leaves and if you are expecting it to, don't get it. I spent all day constantly taking it out and cleaning the filters of the leaves, but in the end, it did get them all so I can't complain too much.

I've got an M4 and thought I'd jump in a bit.

I bought the remote and honestly, it's about useless. The instructions that come with it are horrid and all it allows me to do is manually control the direction. Nothing about wall scrubbing or anything. Don't know if the M5 is a different remote or the M4 just doesn't do much...

The turning on the M4 is really finicky, at least with the remote. Seems to be very sensitive to the float position. Make sure that the floats are the same on both sides or will practically turn in circles.

Also, always make sure the handle is at a diagonal. Either the middle two positions or the top/bottom positions. I actually found it stunk when having the handle straight.

As far as climbing the walls, there are two main things: clean the filter and burp it! By that I mean turn it upside down once it's completely in the water to make sure there is no trapped air. The other thing, of course, is to have the right brush. Unfortunately, I don't know what brush I have, but it climbs the walls.

Now, a question for any of the dealer-types out there: Which/how many brushes and filters is the M4 supposed to come with? I know there is a "spring-cleaning" filter, but have no idea if that's what I got or not.

don,

correct on the m4 remote. you can use it to direct the cleaner only. no other features like on the m5 remote (wall scrubbing, etc.) The remote on the m4 is good for pointing it in the general direction you want, but it won't turn on a dime like the m5 with its split drive brushes does. (and that is the big difference between the 2.)

I still prefer the m4 though because of its weekly/daily timer feature.

regarding brushes...i think they all ship with the combo brushes with the white foam ring and poly scrub brushes. And that is all we have ever used.

tony c
monogram custom pools

Thanks Tony C! BTW, do they come with more than one filter? If not, which one do they come with the fine filter or the 'spring cleaning' filter...and how do you know which is which?? (Sorry for all the questions!)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Tony thanks for the review... I am that much closer to getting one. However I do have question, the timer option on M4 is only useful if you leave the cleaner in the pool? Given that the cord would be on the pool deck where kids are running I am not sure that is such a great idea? Also I am wondering about a power cord into the pool for multiple days?

Well, I ordered the M5 from Epic Pool Supply (over the phone). I have an 18x36 inground pool with 3 entry steps in teh shallow end and the pool has a vinyl liner. I received it yesterday and so far it seems to be a great machine with powerfull suction. The caddy is nice and the remote is usefull... glad I have both. I ran it almost 1.5hrs yesterday and started off with the right float arm one notch forward. The M5 went all over my pool... including climbing walls and scrubbing the water line. I have not seen it walk sideways on the water line yet or climb my pool steps. It did get confused twice on my deep end ladder and I had to move it. I have a lot more experimenting to do but so far I'm very happy ith it. By the way.. I looked at epic pool site today and it is $70 more... I must have hit a July 4 sale?

I assume no one has purchased the Premier? I am going to get the M5 as well based the fact that it is better known and seems to be the top of the Dolphin line. I was interested in the Preier becuase it states thatyou can get a oversized "bag" in the even you need to vacuum an accumulation of leaves. I do not think the M5 has this option.

m5 does not have a bag option since it is top loading, but the cartridges do hold a decent amount.

note..the m5 has the better remote and split drive wheels so it can turn on a dime, but it does not have the daily timer function to start itself automatically. for my customers, I actually prefer the less expensive m4

ps..I tested the pentair 830 which is essentially the same as the premier. Nice unit..but no extra scrubbing brush and no top load cartridge. It is also closer to an m4 than m5 (it does not have the split drive wheels.)

tony c
monogram custom pools

Thanks Tony. Helpful. However, I am pretty certain that the Premier has top loading function. Thats what their brochure says. As you stated, though, I am going to go with the M5 for the split wheels, remote and extra brush functions.

the dx5 series is based on the old style maytronics cleaner. they work great, but aren't as user serviceable, don't have the extra scrubbing brush and no top load cartridges. The dx5 is more of the traditional design. m4/m5 is new style. No comparison in my book.

m4 if you like the daily timer.
m5 if you want a remote that can really control the unit.
tony c
monogram custom pools

Just received my M5. Cart setup was easy. Operating instructions are poor. However, you just put in pool and go. Duh! As was explained previously in this thread, the remote works great. Turns on a dime because of the split wheels. I had a few clusters of leaves in certain areas and after about 40 minutes, the "full" indicator light went off and I had to empty the cartridge...which was no problem at all. Thank God for no bags!!! Hosed off filters, popped them back in the unit and boom...back in action. Pool is crystal clear now.

My only issue is the remote, and i think its simply my stupidity. The remote has several functions like 'ultra clean' or 'floor only', etc., but the instructions only show how to operate the unit from the remote. After several seconds of not touching the remote, the remote turns off and the unit begins operation from the normal default mode as stated in the directions. So...how do you use these unique operations for an entire cleaning cycle? Furthermore, how do u set the timer as well if the remote turns off and the unit resets?

Anyone willing to educate me on this? Oh....interesting note. I also purchased it from Epicpools.com. They say to call in the order so that you are protected under warranty. Ok. Did that. When the box arrived, it has red stop sign stickers all over it stating "No warranty if unit is purchased online". Huh? Ummmm....say what? Anyone have a clue what this means. There's a warranty card that says "return to dealer" for registration. WTF?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.