Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Friend has SWG and does nothing else chemical wise

1. Back To Top    #1

Friend has SWG and does nothing else chemical wise

Friend has SWG and does nothing else chemical wise. Takes apart every year and puts back up.

What is going to happen?

Cya would be 0 for 5 month

So what will happen with 0 CYA?

Tells me the SWG generates enough chlorine to keep it at right level
    15,000 gallon inground fiberglass pool with spa. 350lb Sand filter, 1.5 hp pump, and heater

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Friend has SWG and does nothing else chemical wise

It has a lot to do with how large the SWG is, how long they run their pump, and how far off the PH drifts.

If the PH drifts too far (quite far), chlorine becomes much less effective and it is over. If the pump doesn't run enough or the SWG is too small it is also over. But with enough run time and a large enough SWG and some luck on the PH they could go for quite a while. Of course the SWG will wear out much more quickly than it otherwise would because it will need to run much longer.

Don't mix up luck with things actually working.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

That's gonna work just great----------right up until it doesn't!
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

4. Back To Top    #4

i know nothing about SWG, is there a life span on a SWG? i have no idea what one even looks like it. lol

little research looks like a SWG lasts 3-5 years/10000 hours. so no stabilzer he has to be running it more, and the lifespan is going to be shorter/
    15,000 gallon inground fiberglass pool with spa. 350lb Sand filter, 1.5 hp pump, and heater

5. Back To Top    #5

Yup.

And if the pH drifts up ... which it will unless the TA is very low ... it will be very uncomfortable for eyes and skin to swim in.

Posted with Tapatalk ... sorry if I sound short ... hate typing on phone
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

6. Back To Top    #6

can i jump in?
    just got my pool up and running for the first time yesterday! can i just ask what you guys are talking about? i thought i did my homework but im learning very quickly im not prepareed at all to take care of a pool. it sounds like just a swg isnt enough , can i ask what else should he/her should be doing?
    INTEX 14' X 4'
    1000 GPH PUMP
    SWG
    taylor K-2006 K-1766
    SKOOBA VAC

7. Back To Top    #7

solodare, read the article on balancing your water for use with a SWG in Pool School.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by solodare
    can i jump in?
    just got my pool up and running for the first time yesterday! can i just ask what you guys are talking about? i thought i did my homework but im learning very quickly im not prepareed at all to take care of a pool. it sounds like just a swg isnt enough , can i ask what else should he/her should be doing?
    CYA level would be first on the list. Lack of CYA can cause chlorine to drop during the day and overworks the SWCG. pH would be next. Check out ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry and Water Balance for SWCGs
    for more info.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

9. Back To Top    #9

lmao! okay thanks for not killing me guys! btw ill be in pool school for the next week or two if any one needs me. is there any emergency things i should be doing until i get up to speed? i filled the pool with city water added salt and im currently waiting for it to desolve before turnning the swg on should be turnning it on tonight when i get home from work. thanks so much.
    INTEX 14' X 4'
    1000 GPH PUMP
    SWG
    taylor K-2006 K-1766
    SKOOBA VAC