Just filled 1st pool,got pump running...now questions

May 6, 2012
Endicott NY
Hello,
I just installed my first pool, and just got the pump running yesterday. I filled it 5 days ago and have been running the pump all day. i have not added any chemicals accept there was a half a tablet in the floating holder a neighbor gave me.. I have been reading the pool school articles and things are stating to sink in a little, but still lost on where to start. I'm going to go to the store to get a few chemicals, What should I have on hand? borax,muratic acid (I have a new gallon from the pait section at home depot..same stuff?) bags of "shock" ..

I'm just lost...even with reading all the articles on here..

I did just receive my tf-100 test kit yesterday, I did test ph and cl
pH 8.2
CL 0
water crystal clear

21' 12000 gl
Hayward earth filter ch-50
3/4 hp hayward XL pump
Located in one of the cloudiest areas in the country Broom county

With the install, dealing with code enforcement,and electrical inspection...I need some help on what to do next with chemicals. any advice?

thanks,

Geo

It would be really good to test your TA level. You need to lower the PH, and how much acid that requires very much depends on your TA level.

Until you add CYA to the pool you want to be adding 2 ppm of chlorine each evening.

You should raise CYA to somewhere around 30 or 40.

Reading up on how to test it now...back in a flash.

I got 170
took 17 drops to a very light red. 18th it gets darker. I sample chemicals for a living, and take readings at first change.. .

I'm just getting concerned because it's been a week since I started to fill it, and have not added anything yet. I want to start out using the BBB method done on this site.

Bythe way...The pool calculator is slick! Very nice.

Also when buying Dichlor, I believe the is the small bags the pool guy was selling as shock? when I go look at these bags should they say Dichlor actually on the bag? I want to get the correct stuff.

Thanks for the help!

Geo.

Geo

I want to get the correct stuff.
I would rather see you simply put 1 small jug of Clorox in your pool each evening until you can get to the store and get some CYA. I suggest using the pool calculator and purchasing enough to get to 30-40ppm.
Then....

1. Using muriatic, lower your pH down to mid 7's. use the pool calculator now that you have TA tested.
Muriatic will lower pH usually within a half hour. Retest to confirm your calculations

2. Get the CYA in your pool. It won't"appear" on the test for as long as a week but assume it is there at the dosage you calculated.

Bring your FC up to about 5ppm and then check it daily, adding enough Clorox each time to get back to 5ppm.

Post all of your test results and we'll go from there.

That is what I just did. I will let it mix and post results. Thank you!

Here is what I have now.

pH 7.5
FC This time it turned color, the best mach would be at the top bar marked 5 but the color was more of a orange color. I would guess I put a little too much? No one is swimming in it yet...due to not finished with the electric install.

Am I on the right track?

Thanks,

Geo

Geo

167.JPG

You need to run the DPD chlorine test. It starts with the little bottle pictured above, it is a powder. See your kit for instructions. This test will give you accurate Free, Total and combined chlorine.

rpm90001 said:
Does the orange color just mean I'm a little high? Added a little too much bleach?

Thanks,

Geo

Orange means you are likely above 5ppm, but that does not mean you are "too" high.

Use the FAS-DPD chlorine test (with the powder) when report results to us as it gives you Free (FC) and Combined (CC) chlorine ... not just Total chlorine from the OTO (yellow/orange) test.

Well this took longer than expected, I just finished the electrical and passed inspection with an a+ now I can keep the pump going. I think I'm good to let the kids swim today. They are very excited.
Fc 5.5
Ph 7.5
Ta 140. High?
Ch did not test
Cya 40
Cc 0.5

I have never shocked it since filling.. I see no need to if the levels are good correct? Other family members say I'm wrong and I should do it anyway. Opinions? Kids would lube to swim. I took me a month to do the pool and electrical by my self...so it's been killing them. Does it look like we are ready to swim?

Also, any recommend a pad for the bottom of the ladder? I have not put the ladder in yet, but cringe when I think about it sitting directly on the liner.

Geo

Go swimming! No need to shock anew pool since you got chlorine in right away. Don't worry about the TA for now adjust it in a week or so if it's still high.

Protect that liner from the ladder legs somehow. Others will have a solution......I don't have an AG

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.