Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Safe to swim after shocking

1. Back To Top    #1

Safe to swim after shocking

We shocked our pool last night. I found the cya/chlorine chart to find the recommended shock level. Ours was 16. So we got up this morning and it was still 16. Is it safe to swim in today if the chlorine level stays high? I know the sun will evaporate some but how high is too high to swim in?
    In-Ground L-Shaped Vinyl 40,000 gal
    Hayward S-240 high Rate Sand Filter 300lbs
    A.O. Smith Pump ST1102
    Pentair Chlorine/Bromine inline feeder Model 320
    *We liked the house, the pool came with it, we bought it, we win x2*

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Safe to swim after shocking

It is alright to swim when FC is at or above the minimum, FC is below shock level, CC is 0.5 or lower, the PH is between 7.2 and 8.0, and you can clearly see the bottom.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

I was told that it was ok to swim in a pool with chlorine up to shock level. I passed my OCLT yesterday and FC was at 16 and had 4 swimmers in the pool for about 5 hours. I can assure you, there was no green hair or ruined bathing suits.
    28K IG Gunite, 60 sq. ft. Pentair DE Filter, 2.2hp WhisperFlo Pump, Polaris 3900 Vac in Baltimore, MD.

4. Back To Top    #4

Green hair is a result of copper in the water, and has nothing to do with chlorine.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

ok great thanks. it did go down because it gets full sun all the time and all other levels are fine. now we move on to maintaining the fc level around 4. do you all add bleach every day? and if I add 1 gal of bleach does it raise the fc level 1.5ppm every time I add it? we are spending alot of money on bleach.
    A.O. Smith Pump ST1102

6. Back To Top    #6

Use the PoolCalculator.com to figure your doses. Yes, 1 gallon of 6% should raise 40K gallon pool's FC 1.5 ppm.

If your CYA is 40, you should maintain FC between 3 and 7, and never below 3. I suggest that you test and add chlorine up to about 6 or 7 each evening and retest/add FC the following evening. You'll get a good idea how much your pool uses daily.
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

7. Back To Top    #7

great thanks! I have used the pool calculator regularly!
    A.O. Smith Pump ST1102

8. Back To Top    #8

Why did you raise your pool to shock level one time?

BTW, we would not call that "shocking your pool". Shocking is a process of maintaining elevated chlorine levels for a specific reason.

Posted with Tapatalk ... sorry if I sound short ... hate typing on phone
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL

9. Back To Top    #9

My chlorine had gotten to zero obviously. So since I shocked it I have been able to maintain the chlorine levels. now I'm just keeping the chlorine between 3-7 now.
    A.O. Smith Pump ST1102

10. Back To Top    #10

Just because it got to zero did not mean you had to raise it to shock level ... although some might suggest that you should have followed the Shocking Your Pool process until your passed the 3 tests to stop (which may have only been 1-2 days). There is a chance that you may have stuff growing since you let the FC drop and an Overnight FC Loss Test would confirm if you are OK or not.

Again, you did not "shock" the pool, but temporarily elevated the FC level ... just making sure you have been sufficiently Pool School'ed and are learning the terminology used here
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

11. Back To Top    #11

all of our overnight tests have been fine. no loss. we have had several days of rain so we havent been using it. I "forgot" to add bleach those days and it got very low les than .5fc so i put enough in there to give a little boost. now i am maintaining 3-7 fc, testing at night, adding enough bleach to get my to next night and test again, repeat. I am wondering though, if I use my chlorinator as a back up (it hold 7 pucks) can I do that to where I am not adding bleach every single day?
    A.O. Smith Pump ST1102

12. Back To Top    #12

Each Puck adds CYA and eventually the level gets too high to easily maintain adequate FC without massive water changes.

Posted with Tapatalk ... sorry if I sound short ... hate typing on phone
    Jason, TFP Moderator