Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Low TA... Best way to add baking soda

1. Back To Top    #1

Low TA... Best way to add baking soda

Just a little background... I recently went through the shock process. Prior to that my TA was @ 100. Test results from a little earlier today were:
    PH - 7.4
    FC - 5.5
    CC - 0
    TC - 5.5
    TA - 70
    Ch - 260
    CYA - 20

I want to raise the TA, and based on the pool calculator i need 232oz. to bring it to 100. What is the best way to add it? In the skimmer like DE, in a sock like CYA? Also, any idea what would have caused the reduction? I used dichlor to shock.

2. Back To Top    #2
    San Dimas, CA (LA County)

Re: Low TA... Best way to add baking soda

I'd just pour it in the pool and brush it around. It dissolves fast. I'd also only add half at a time and recheck it in a day. 70 is okay, so no need to rush getting it any higher. Personally, I'd leave it alone. My tap water adds plenty of TA every time I add water.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

Glendale, CA

Re: Low TA... Best way to add baking soda

I'm with Richard - I'd leave it alone. If you are using bleach as your source of chlorine you may find your PH rises overtime. Your TA is one potential source of this rise and a lower TA can help this.

If you are using Trichlor pucks which are acidic you'll find the PH drifts downward - a higher TA can help compensate.

Either way a month of PH tests will help you understand your pool and which the direction it tends to move. If your PH is stable over that time then you are pretty well balanced.

The TA drop you have seen may be the dichlor, minor testing errors, or both.
    16K Gal Plaster | Compupool SWG | Intelliflow VF | TF-100