Crystal clear water, but no FCL

As promised, here is a photo of the pool water. It has looked like this the entire time I have been messing the the FC levels. You could read a book under the water from the pool deck! What's going on with my FC?!

[attachment=0:3fuk5amk]2012-06-08_15-51-21_244 - Copy (600x800).jpg[/attachment:3fuk5amk]

Attachments

• 2012-06-08_15-51-21_244 - Copy (600x800).jpg
    2012-06-08_15-51-21_244 - Copy (600x800).jpg
    179 KB · Views: 70
Butterfly said:
wkuengineer said:
Still no FC lost on the OCLT. All levels still the same.
If you are not losing FC on the OCLT, CC is .5 or less & water is clear, then you are done shocking. See red lines in my sig.

Time for you to switch from shocking to maintenance. :goodjob:

Yes, but I have been like this every time I have shocked, and 24hrs after shocking, levels are down from 20 ppm to almost nothing. Seems like this is not normal.

This may irrelevant, but I'm curious if your chlorine feeder is working. After what you are describing, to lose that much FC PLUS the amount that the automatic feeder would be providing during the day suggests something else is bringing your FC levels down.

Ok, so I am starting to get very frustrated. I still can't keep FC at the right level for more than 24 hrs. Basically no loss over night, no CC and pool is crystal clear! My FC levels drop at least 8ppm or more from morning to evening. Levels are still as before with CYA around 50 ppm. This is getting quite pricey to use bleach. I can't imagine 2 bottles of bleach per day being cheaper than a few tablets. What's going on here?!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
wkuengineer said:
Ok, so I am starting to get very frustrated. I still can't keep FC at the right level for more than 24 hrs. Basically no loss over night, no CC and pool is crystal clear! My FC levels drop at least 8ppm or more from morning to evening. Levels are still as before with CYA around 50 ppm. This is getting quite pricey to use bleach. I can't imagine 2 bottles of bleach per day being cheaper than a few tablets. What's going on here?!

Where are you located? Lots of Texas sun during the day?

Maybe try bringing CYA up another 10? (Please get a second, third, and fourth opinion before doing this.)

Where are you located and how much direct sun do you get each day?

What test kit do you have? (I admit I didn't read back thru to find out.)

8 ppm a day is a lot to lose with 50 ppm CYA. Are you sure about the CYA level?

How much pool usage are you seeing a day?

So I've added 9 lbs of Aquachem stabilizer to raise levels (just assumed I was below 30 even though I felt pretty good I was around 45). From what im reading, around 50 ppm of cya, I should loose just a few ppm per day from sunlight (still not loosing at night). So this addition should get above 50 ppm for sure. I am much considering tablets again if I still can't hold FC levels. It would be much cheaper compared to what I'm spending on bleach.

wkuengineer said:
It would be much cheaper compared to what I'm spending on bleach.

Doubtful. You pool is requiring a certain # ppm of FC per day (right now it seems high for some reason) ... does not matter how you add it. With the pucks, you would still have to add the same # ppm FC per day, but then you would also be adding CYA ... meaning you will require even higher FC levels. And generally the cost of chlorine per ppm is cheaper with bleach.

Doubtful. You pool is requiring a certain # ppm of FC per day (right now it seems high for some reason) ... does not matter how you add it. With the pucks, you would still have to add the same # ppm FC per day, but then you would also be adding CYA ... meaning you will require even higher FC levels. And generally the cost of chlorine per ppm is cheaper with bleach.[/quote]

Thanks for the reply. Forgot about pucks adding cya. I basically would have to add 5 jugs every night to get to end of following day. That gets me to around 16 ppm that night and following morning and 0 ppm by nightfall. My pucks seem to have kept 4 ppm until completely didissolved then to 0 soon after. 6 pucks last about 4the days. Seems like it would be cheaper. You guys are the experts though. I will stick it out with bleach a bitter longer and see if this stabilizer addition helps.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.