Jul 9, 2011
I've been on the BBB method for about two weeks. My numbers are as follows:
FCL: 0
pH: 7.2
TA: 20
CYA: 50
Volume: 28,000
Vinyl

I know my TA is low. My pH started at 6.8. Its been at 7.2 fir some time. I've been working on getting my FL between 2 and 6 usingI the pool calculator. It seems that every time I add bleach nothing happens to the FCL level. It goes up temprarily but is back to 0a by the next day. The water is crystal clear. Any thoughts? Should I superchlorinate well above the target level first?

TFP mantra: Can you post a complete set of test results?

CC is what we want to see. You may have something eating up your chlorine besides the sun.

And you may need to run the overnight chlorine loss test. Instructions are in Pool School.

Armed with that knowledge, you can decide if you just need to maintain a higher FC or if you need to go through the shock process.

wkuengineer said:
How do I measure CC with a Taylor 2006? I should note that I can't get my sample to turn pink at all, no matter how much of the R-0870 I add.
In that case...

Add chlorine about sunset. Brush a little and have the pump running to get it to mix well. Measure FC and CC then. Recheck it tomorrow morning before the sun hits it. Report back and someone will guide you.

So I made a slight mistake in my previous measurements. I had 2ppm FC, not 3.5, around 4:30PM after adding bleach. Checked levels around 7:30 PM that night and they were around 1ppm. Checked this morning and were .5ppm or maybe even lower. This was on my FC. How do I check my CC? I plan on adding bleach to my shock level (around 16ppm). How long should I wait after adding bleach until I add baking soda?

With a CYA of 50 ppm you should never let your FC get below 4 ppm. Doing so invites algae to get started.
Why is it taking you so long to get chlorine in there. It needs to happen immediately!

Once you put the chlorine in there, wait a few minutes and add the baking soda. Then wait an hour and test again.

Bama Rambler said:
With a CYA of 50 ppm you should never let your FC get below 4 ppm. Doing so invites algae to get started.
Why is it taking you so long to get chlorine in there. It needs to happen immediately!

Once you put the chlorine in there, wait a few minutes and add the baking soda. Then wait an hour and test again.

I ran out of bleach yesterday. I live in a small town and only have a few places that carry everything needed. Work during the day so this evening is the only time it works out. It will happen this evening, though.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
So, pool calc told me to add 5.6 182oz jugs of bleach to raise CC from 0 to 18 ppm. Added 7 jugs then 25 lbs baking soda to raise TA . Checked levels about 3 hrs later (water turned green for awhile). Levels as follows

FC: 4.5
CC: .5
pH: 7.2
TA: 125

I will check again in the morning and repost.

jblizzle said:
NO. You need to again add bleach to get back up to shock level now. That is the Shocking Your Pool process.
Test. Add. Test. Add. Repeat.

By morning I guarantee you will be back to 0 if it dropped from ~20ppm to 4.5 in 3 hours.

Ok, so I definitely don't have enough bleach on hand. I only bought 8 jugs. How many jugs do you recommend to have on hand for this?

All levels are the same this morning except FC. This has dropped to 1.5 ppm. How long/often should I continue superchlorinating once I get back up to shock level? Looks like I am going by the store again to see if they've restocked bleach :-D

wkuengineer said:
How long/often should I continue superchlorinating once I get back up to shock level?
Read the article posted above (never hurts to reinforce, right?), but think of it this way. Your shock level of 18 is a minimum. If you let it get below 18, you're letting algae regain a foothold. Test and dose as often as necessary to keep FC above 18ppm at all times.

wkuengineer said:
This may be a dumb question, can you safely put your arm in thec water to sample after putting that much bleach in? The water is the color of the bleach( sort of) 1 hr afrer

You can put your arm in much higher concentrations (at least I have) and not suffer any consequences. Probably wouldn't hurt to rinse it off afterwards however.

No question is a dumb question!!!

Generally speaking, you're safe to swim up to shock level. Above that you might get a little dry skin and slight odor, maybe, but that's about it.

As a comparison, I've got my pool at mustard shock right now, and I just make sure I rinse my hands and arms when I get inside, and I dry with paper towels (so I don't accidentally bleach the kitchen towels!). No ill effects for me except a little faint bleach smell.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.