Become a TFP Supporter Welcome to our new server and new forum software. Pool School
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Crystal clear water, but no FCL

Crystal clear water, but no FCL

I've been on the BBB method for about two weeks. My numbers are as follows:
    FCL: 0
    pH: 7.2
    TA: 20
    CYA: 50
    Volume: 28,000
    Vinyl

I know my TA is low. My pH started at 6.8. Its been at 7.2 fir some time. I've been working on getting my FL between 2 and 6 usingI the pool calculator. It seems that every time I add bleach nothing happens to the FCL level. It goes up temprarily but is back to 0a by the next day. The water is crystal clear. Any thoughts? Should I superchlorinate well above the target level first?
    28K gal, vinyl, Pentair IntelliFlo VF High Performance Pump

Re: Crystal clear water, but no FCL

TFP mantra: Can you post a complete set of test results?

CC is what we want to see. You may have something eating up your chlorine besides the sun.

And you may need to run the overnight chlorine loss test. Instructions are in Pool School.

Armed with that knowledge, you can decide if you just need to maintain a higher FC or if you need to go through the shock process.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

How do I measure CC with a Taylor 2006? I should note that I can't get my sample to turn pink at all, no matter how much of the R-0870 I add.

Quote Originally Posted by wkuengineer
    How do I measure CC with a Taylor 2006? I should note that I can't get my sample to turn pink at all, no matter how much of the R-0870 I add.
    In that case...

Add chlorine about sunset. Brush a little and have the pump running to get it to mix well. Measure FC and CC then. Recheck it tomorrow morning before the sun hits it. Report back and someone will guide you.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

Add enough FC to get to shock level for your CYA. Then add enough baking soda to get the TA to about 80 ppm. Wait about an hour and test the FC, CC & TA again and report what you get.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 1.5hp Dynamo pump. 24" Pentair Sand Dollar Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit
    You can stop SLAMing your pool when you pass the OCLT (You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & You have .5ppm CC's or less) & your water is clear.

So I made a slight mistake in my previous measurements. I had 2ppm FC, not 3.5, around 4:30PM after adding bleach. Checked levels around 7:30 PM that night and they were around 1ppm. Checked this morning and were .5ppm or maybe even lower. This was on my FC. How do I check my CC? I plan on adding bleach to my shock level (around 16ppm). How long should I wait after adding bleach until I add baking soda?

How do I check my CC?
    I just found the extension test instructions that show how to test for CC. I'll be doing this this evening. Still plan to bring FC to shock level.

With a CYA of 50 ppm you should never let your FC get below 4 ppm. Doing so invites algae to get started.
    Why is it taking you so long to get chlorine in there. It needs to happen immediately!

Once you put the chlorine in there, wait a few minutes and add the baking soda. Then wait an hour and test again.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 1.5hp Dynamo pump. 24" Pentair Sand Dollar Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    You can stop SLAMing your pool when you pass the OCLT (You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & You have .5ppm CC's or less) & your water is clear.

Quote Originally Posted by Bama Rambler
    With a CYA of 50 ppm you should never let your FC get below 4 ppm. Doing so invites algae to get started.
    Why is it taking you so long to get chlorine in there. It needs to happen immediately!

Once you put the chlorine in there, wait a few minutes and add the baking soda. Then wait an hour and test again.
    I ran out of bleach yesterday. I live in a small town and only have a few places that carry everything needed. Work during the day so this evening is the only time it works out. It will happen this evening, though.

We all understand that work mess getting in the way of the pool thing.

Post back the test results when you get them.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator

Ya,

I can't figure out why work doesn't understand how important pool maintenance and upkeep is I'll post back tonight.

So, pool calc told me to add 5.6 182oz jugs of bleach to raise CC from 0 to 18 ppm. Added 7 jugs then 25 lbs baking soda to raise TA . Checked levels about 3 hrs later (water turned green for awhile). Levels as follows

FC: 4.5
    CC: .5
    pH: 7.2
    TA: 125

I will check again in the morning and repost.

NO. You need to again add bleach to get back up to shock level now. That is the Shocking Your Pool process.

Test. Add. Test. Add. Repeat.

By morning I guarantee you will be back to 0 if it dropped from ~20ppm to 4.5 in 3 hours.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, Dolphin Diagnostic Robotic Cleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Gone: Hayward RS1500 pump, undersized DIY solar heater, Dolphin Dynamic Robotic Cleaner
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle
    NO. You need to again add bleach to get back up to shock level now. That is the Shocking Your Pool process.
    Test. Add. Test. Add. Repeat.

By morning I guarantee you will be back to 0 if it dropped from ~20ppm to 4.5 in 3 hours.
    Ok, so I definitely don't have enough bleach on hand. I only bought 8 jugs. How many jugs do you recommend to have on hand for this?

All levels are the same this morning except FC. This has dropped to 1.5 ppm. How long/often should I continue superchlorinating once I get back up to shock level? Looks like I am going by the store again to see if they've restocked bleach

Read the instructions at the link jblizzle gave you, they spell out the entire process, including how to know when you are done.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    TFP Admin. Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

How long/often should I continue superchlorinating once I get back up to shock level?
    Read the article posted above (never hurts to reinforce, right?), but think of it this way. Your shock level of 18 is a minimum. If you let it get below 18, you're letting algae regain a foothold. Test and dose as often as necessary to keep FC above 18ppm at all times.
    TFP Moderator33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1.5HP PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater
    Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months
    The most important article on this site - The ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

This may be a dumb question, can you safely put your arm in thec water to sample after putting that much bleach in? The water is the color of the bleach( sort of) 1 hr afrer

This may be a dumb question, can you safely put your arm in thec water to sample after putting that much bleach in? The water is the color of the bleach( sort of) 1 hr afrer
    You can put your arm in much higher concentrations (at least I have) and not suffer any consequences. Probably wouldn't hurt to rinse it off afterwards however.
    20k gal, IG Vinyl, IntelliFlo VF Pump, 60 GPM sand filter, Jandy Aquapure Ei 35, 2 skimmers, one main drain, two returns, Dolphin Diagnostic cleaning robot, Taylor K-2006 test kit

No question is a dumb question!!!

Generally speaking, you're safe to swim up to shock level. Above that you might get a little dry skin and slight odor, maybe, but that's about it.

As a comparison, I've got my pool at mustard shock right now, and I just make sure I rinse my hands and arms when I get inside, and I dry with paper towels (so I don't accidentally bleach the kitchen towels!). No ill effects for me except a little faint bleach smell.
    TFP Moderator33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1.5HP PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater
    Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months
    The most important article on this site - The ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry