Algae on stacked stone? (+ other chemistry questions)

EvermoreUW

Silver Supporter
May 23, 2010
Gilbert, AZ
Hello all,

I have a stacked stone fountain on my pool, and the stone extends into the water. It did't take long for small patches of algae to show up, but I never gave much thought to them, just scrubbed them with a brush every week, and maintained good chemistry. The algae hasn't "invaded" the pool and more or less keeps to just the stacked stone. (My theory is that the rough edge gives it something to cling to?)

Recently, the patches have become larger and small dots of algae have appeared at the corners of the pool on the grout line. The water is still crystal clear, so I was wondering if there's a good way to get rid of them, or if I should be overly concerned? I continue to try to maintain proper pH and chlorine balance, so perhaps this is why the algae hasn't gotten out of control, but may be on the verge of doing so?

Here are the results of my latest test:
I have a SWG pool that was filled in Oct2010.

FC: 2.5
CC: .5
TC: 3
pH: 7.5
T/A: 70
CH: 530 (not sure if my test kit is getting old, as mentioned in another post I read about CH measures being off after a few years)
CYA: <20 (going to get some acid today to bring this back up).
Temp: 78

Any help on what may or may not need to be modified would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Joel

Attachments

• algae1.jpg
    algae1.jpg
    218.7 KB · Views: 37
  • algae2.jpg
    algae2.jpg
    177.4 KB · Views: 37
Get your CYA up to 60-70ppm and increase your FC to 3-5ppm and KEEP IT THERE.

YOu may not have to adjust SWG much because the higher CYA will protest your FC much better.

The nooks and crannies provide an excellent hiding place for the algae to grow because you get no circulation there.

I would suggest getting into the pool with full strength Clorox and using a turkey baster (or something similar), shoot the chlorine directly on the algae. That blast may be all you need to get rid of it......for a while.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.