Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Solar cover reel for intex pool

1. Back To Top    #1

Sturgis, Michigan

Solar cover reel for intex pool

Has anyone had anyluck with a solar cover reel for an intex pool? how did you install it etc...
    AG 18'X52" round Ultra frame Intex 8961 gallons with sand filter and SWG 1600 gph also have TF-100 Test kit

2. Back To Top    #2
    NE Ohio

Re: Solar cover reel for intex pool

I couldn't find a reasonably-priced reel that would work with our Intex. The main problem being that when water gets trapped in the cover, it's extremely heavy to lift. And since I'm getting the cover off/on by myself 90% of the time, I need a lighter solution.

I'm thinking that I'm going to try this: Solar Cover Reel Solution

I was initially looking for instructions for making shepherd's hooks out of PVC that I can stick in the ground next to the pool so I can slide the cover off by myself, but everything I've read about how the covers degrade when not cared for properly lead me to think sectioning the cover and rolling them up in this manner will be a better solution.

I figure if we have a storm, I'll haul out the debris cover so we don't lose the solar cover pieces.
    BBB/TFP/Taylor K-2006 Evangelist!
    6/13 - Installed AG Sharkline Heritage 21'x54" 11K gallons. Hayward 1660s sand filter, Hayward single-speed 1 hp pump; city water. Husband builds, I maintain.
    5/11 - Starter pool 6000-gallon Intex Ultra 16'x48" AG with standard 1500 gph 1/3 hp cartridge filter.

3. Back To Top    #3

Seneca, IL

Re: Solar cover reel for intex pool

I was just wondering this same question myself.
    Intex 18x48 Ultra Frame Pool - Intex 2650 Sand Filter - Intex SWG
    Everything sitting in the "Octagon"