Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New to pool

1. Back To Top    #1

New to pool

Husband bought a Fast Set Pool 10x30. When filled, daughter went in for 2 days without any type of treatment. On third day, water was beginning to get hazy; didn't get in pool. On day five (Friday), added htc shock and swim treatment. Today is Sunday and water is still hazy. 6 way test strips read:
    TH 400
    FC 10
    pH 8.4
    TA 240
    CYA 30-50

Don't think the pool is safe to swim in due to high FC, pH, and TA levels.......correct?? What do I do next?? Daughter is very upset about not being able to swim for the past two days.

2. Back To Top    #2
    Silver Spring, MD

Re: New to pool

If you bring down the PH and the bottom is clearly visible despite the haze then swimming will be alright.

With your really high TA level, you need to keep a closer eye on your PH and take care to not let it get up that high. I recommend lowering PH to 7.2 each time it gets up to 7.8 until the TA comes down to something more reasonable.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: New to pool

Thank you for the prompt response. I will definitely get back to you if I have more questions/concern/problems.